My Wels Catfish (silurus glanis) albino

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Kindly tip my hat to ya...and agree to disagree...theres exceptions to every rule.
Oh, I see, I see now. I am slow. So our disagreement is that you think all the hunger strikes etc. that we see with our wels are natural and some variations are merely exceptions not a rule... while I think some of it may be unnatural and helped, right? Just to be clear (before I contact my lawyers ya know...).

I had to be "that guy" haha... all in good fun my friend. Im surprised ur guy is already "kept in the dark" so to speak...was hoping that was an easy fix for ya to a bigger appetite but im glad to hear a bit of competition you added into the mix is helping him eat more :). I've had that happen in solo fish tanks aswell. Always interesting across the board for comparison i agree as we all keep them very differently. Wish someone else had a specimen left from my batch. Last ive heard of another was from Lei himself and this was yrs. ago now when they were around the 3yr mark. I've been on a weather kick lately i guess being trapped indoors reading fishing articles, studying weather patterns and comparing them to what i have goin on both indoors and out. I'm wondering if its just the climate difference down there thats changing his feeding patterns. Like most large fish outdoors, my specimen does not feed as much during the summer when my temps are the highest and the warmest he ever gets is around 74-76. Can still be irrelevant as u should be experiencing a pretty consistent change in seasons also for the time uve had him much like the rio ebro in spain compared to other parts of europe where they live under ice. I may be experiencing a bit of a more "natural" temp fluctuation being on unheated autodrip as it consistently changes with the outdoor ground tempatures through the year. I'd like to hear Mikes views/observations aswell. Not everything is always left to chance....patterns emerge and things line up to happen for a reason. deciphering why...is the never ending battle we face in home aquaria and out on the water hahaha...
I see now again. I was wondering where is this Russ the meteorologist popping up from...

Last edited:
Reactions: that_fish_Guy

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Well here's some more info (regarding studies on wild wels), wels catfish are most likely to be caught when the water temp is 70 to 80 degrees f, catch rates declined when water was in the 60s, and in the fifties fish were not caught.

So it would appear the ideal temps for feeding are in the mid 70s to low 80s

Ahhhh... comin at me with fishing facts...love it hahaha... There really all we have to go by from at home for alot of what we keep. I can back that info up observing my heaviest feeding periods during spring/fall when my temps are consistently 72-74. It is surprising to hear up to 80 degrees tho. They congregate in large numbers in the winter to spawn which is prob y fewer are caught during that time but ive seen many fishing vids/pics from france/europe where theyre still catching them with snow on the ground. The hard part about gathering info is that each area/body of water could be night and day for statistics/results much like from one of our own tanks to another.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Oh, I see, I see now. I am slow. So our disagreement is that you think all the hunger strikes etc. that we see with our wels are natural and some variations are merely exceptions not a rule... while I think some of it may be unnatural and helped, right? Just to be clear (before I contact my lawyers ya know...).

I see now again. I was wondering where is this Russ the meteorologist popping up from...

Diidn't want a good debate turned into a "pissing match" haha... Im by no means the wels boss... just as always "observe and report" over here. On any given day, studies/facts can be on opposite sides of the spectrum i know...like Mike ( the op), I may bring in some different opinions maybe not thought about by a "sane" person who isnt constantly studying feeding patterens of any said species so much..lol... My main point is that maybe, sometimes, things are out of our control as keepers and there may be some underlying evidence to back them up like seasons and weather even in a "controlled enviorment". Its been brought up before in other cat sp. like b. fila and bagarius. I often thought those opinions were hogwash at the time but there may be some light to shed on the topic. Its hard to get past alot of opinions from keepers when most the time water quality is the underlying issue not something bigger like weather or season.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
... Its hard to get past alot of opinions from keepers when most the time water quality is the underlying issue not something bigger like weather or season.
That is so true. Or space... Sorry, I couldn't help it :) But space and water quality are often related.

Well, hopefully if all the folks tagged above chime in with their observations sooner or later, we'll gain a bit of clarity.

Reactions: that_fish_Guy

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
That is so true. Or space... Sorry, I couldn't help it :) But space and water quality are often related.

Well, hopefully if all the folks tagged above chime in with their observations sooner or later, we'll gain a bit of clarity.
Haha i agree with ya on that for most the time..but not always of course... Autodrips/autochangers rectify water quality issues in small systems and provide stability/consistency like a larger volume of water.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
:cracks Knuckles gets ready to type a book:

Great update. Thank you so much.

If you will, please, keep track of how well your wels feeds long term. It seems that all other wels that a bunch of us got more or less at the same time, that is 2-5 years ago, display some moodiness and periods of fasting, sulking, and dislike for any changes in their tanks but they are all housed, it appears, in much smaller quarters than yours (relative to their size).

From observing mine two, I concluded that they are much happier, outgoing, and better feeders in large tanks where they can swim freely before hitting a wall. I wonder if yours would be a confirmation to this. wednesday13 wednesday13 is most keenly interested too. also Kingrancher2011 Kingrancher2011 gorak gorak knifegill knifegill T Texasrockwell
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter I have been paying the utmost attention to mine since the beginning as far as feeding patters go, well maybe not the utmost....But good enough. I actually used to keep a notebook of all that kind of stuff moon phase time of day type of food water temp and paramaters etc. however I have since stopped and lost the book. That lasted maybe 6 months or so. Anyways...... I have NOT noticed any major hunger strikes....HOWEVER I dont feed my fish like most people here on this site. I do NOT feed daily. As Russ said fish DO NOT eat everyday in the wild. I think at times people over feed causing long term fatty liver issues etc etc...Also economically for me being 19 when I aquired the fish it made sense to only feed a couple times a week. When he was small (under 8 inches) i fed him daily. But as he grew i began to feed less frequently. It got to a point at the 20 inch mark or so where I was only feeding once a week. YES once a week. He grew steadily no issue at all. Never went off of feeding for me EVER however in my personal opinion Lighting played a big factor as to when he decides to eat. if the light was on at all he wouldnt eat. to a point where I just removed the light and just ran the tank off of ambient light. I would attempt to feed him during the day and he would leave the food untouched until night. he never minded a change I would make though ( adding a pipe to hide in or changing from sponge filters to a canister or sump). He actually started off in a small 110 tall then only months later went into a 110 long. not long after that he went into the 340 where he spent most of his time so far. Each time he was moved he ate on the same day from being moved.

No catfish will eat every day 24/7 as they dont in the wild either....esp. when there spolied so much in or tanks. Its not uncommon for them to go weeks without food under normal circumstances in the wild. Im gonna have to disagree on larger tanks making them feed more. Recently came across another factor i never thought much of before which is lighting... i had a bulb burn out last week, changed it to what was a brighter bulb and my guy was pissed lol... he refused his normal meal until i changed back to a dimmer bulb. I dont think this is coincidence. Id wager tempature, water quality and lighting have more to do with apetite than space. My specimen can bearly turn around...but hed gladly consume 2lbs of fillets in one sitting no prob then beg for more on an "on" day.... catfish even indoors are prone to weather patterns and moon phases. Ive seen this with my rays also during rain storms and seasons. Big fish are programed to "power feed" during certain times of the year/day regardless if they live in a stream of 2' of water...or 20' down in a large lake... u cant discredit their natural behaviors even when spolied with easy meals indoors. It cant be coincidence my specimens appetite turns on with vigor during spring and fall like it would in the wild...and he goes absolutly beserk begging for food if a storms moving in... i often go by my fish' behavior indoors for fishing outdoors. thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter are ur tanks in direct sunlight or under a shade cloth still? I thought of ur specimen when i figured out my lights were too bright. Worth a shot to see if he feeds better in the shade.
"""""" RUSS: No catfish will eat every day 24/7 as they dont in the wild either....esp. when there spolied so much in or tanks. Its not uncommon for them to go weeks without food under normal circumstances in the wild.""""""""""
Completely agree with wednesday13 wednesday13 Coming from a fishermens point of view and just from being in the hobby for 9+ years and observing fish behavior....especially catfish behavior...I would say that most all catfish in the wild DO NOT eat daily. YES all fish in the wild as a whole are eating daily...but as for the individual fish i believe that they sometimes go a day or even a week without eating possibly longer when severe weather occurs. Picture a hunter...does he come home with a Deer every time he goes out????? no.....same goes for a fish in the wild..sometimes they might not have had the opportunity, not been in the mood, or barometric pressure was high etc...of course if you offer a fish in a captive environment food each and every day they will sometimes skip some days....It becomes a given to them, something thats always there for them to eat. Only recently after moving mine to the pool pond have I began feeding every other day. However for most of his life I have fed him once or twice a week and have noticed no significant hunger strikes. although I never could know if he was in the mood to eat or not on the 6 out of the 7 days I did not feed him.

""""""RUSS: Im gonna have to disagree on larger tanks making them feed more"""""""
Completely agree. I have had mine in two different 110s a 340 and now a pool pond over 1k gallons and have not noticed him feed MORE or have a bigger appetite or a bigger desire to eat due to an increase in tank size

""""""""""""RUSS:Recently came across another factor i never thought much of before which is lighting... i had a bulb burn out last week, changed it to what was a brighter bulb and my guy was pissed lol... he refused his normal meal until i changed back to a dimmer bulb. I dont think this is coincidence. Id wager tempature, water quality and lighting have more to do with apetite than space.""""""""""

Again agreeing with Russ I 10000000% agree with the lighting thing. At least as far as wels are concerned they care ALOT about how bright it is when they feed. any bright or slightly bright light and they would prefer not to eat if possible. I also agree that as far as appetite goes space is far less of a concern than water parameters water quality and lighting

"""""""""""RUSS:catfish even indoors are prone to weather patterns and moon phases. Ive seen this with my rays also during rain storms and seasons. Big fish are programed to "power feed" during certain times of the year/day regardless if they live in a stream of 2' of water...or 20' down in a large lake... u cant discredit their natural behaviors even when spolied with easy meals indoors. It cant be coincidence my specimens appetite turns on with vigor during spring and fall like it would in the wild...and he goes absolutly beserk begging for food if a storms moving in... i often go by my fish' behavior indoors for fishing outdoors. """"""""""""""""""

again completely agree. Coming from a fishermans perspective I believe that weather patterns barometric pressure and seasonal conditions play a key role in appetite/ behavior for fish even in captivity. but again like russ I run my tank based off of the enviornmental temperature. I really never had a heater in the tank and have only recently considered getting a couple....I really dont even need them though. outside temps get to 110+ where I live. I have noticed an increase in activity and appetite prior to a major front etc.

Actually catfish do eat every day in the wild, however most of what they eat is really small items , catfish with more space exercise and therefore eat and grow more, they are also less likely to be affected by their own pheromones in larger bodies of water (particularly wels, I.d sharks and flatheads are sensitive to this).

The best specimens of catfish tend to occur in waters with plenty of food and clean water.

Most catfish prefer dimmer light, so for a catfish only tank no lights are necessary
Disagree about any given individual specimen in the wild eating everyday> I believe fish as a whole eat everyday but as far as in terms of an individual fish I believe they could go a day or a week or more without eating. You see this in trophy largemouth bass fishing here in southern california. A bass might load up on trout the day of a trout stocking then go a week or more without eating.

... Im gonna have to disagree on larger tanks making them feed more.
*****I know of our difference atm. Didn't feel like playing your advocate. Glad you did. That's why Michael's input would be valuable. And that of other keeper's. T Texasrockwell keeps his in large quarters, no?

Recently came across another factor i never thought much of before which is lighting... i had a bulb burn out last week, changed it to what was a brighter bulb and my guy was pissed lol... he refused his normal meal until i changed back to a dimmer bulb.
*****Just as I generalized - any change and they don't like it and sulk or protest. Often. Not always.

I dont think this is coincidence. Id wager tempature, water quality and lighting have more to do with apetite than space. My specimen can bearly turn around...but hed gladly consume 2lbs of fillets in one sitting no prob then beg for more on an "on" day....
*****Yes, your guy's and my guy's behavior differs significantly in some parts and is very similar in others. Mine never begs. That's what worries me. It is just lying in its corner as if driftwood. But recently, a week or two ago, I gave it many tank mates suddenly. And it started feeding exceptionally well. Although he drives them away from his tank end and bites them knocking out scales every now and then. The tank mates are two large giant siamese carp, two bala sharks, three tinfoils, and three red hooks.

catfish even indoors are prone to weather patterns and moon phases. Ive seen this with my rays also during rain storms and seasons. Big fish are programed to "power feed" during certain times of the year/day regardless if they live in a stream of 2' of water...or 20' down in a large lake... u cant discredit their natural behaviors even when spolied with easy meals indoors. It cant be coincidence my specimens appetite turns on with vigor during spring and fall like it would in the wild...and he goes absolutly beserk begging for food if a storms moving in... i often go by my fish' behavior indoors for fishing outdoors.
*****All you say about their natural inclinations cannot be disagreed with. But this is a different matter. I am trying to separate out feed refusals that are beyond that and that MAY BE subject to space... and also lighting, etc.

are ur tanks in direct sunlight or under a shade cloth still? I thought of ur specimen when i figured out my lights were too bright. Worth a shot to see if he feeds better in the shade.
*****Mine lives in a dungeon. If I cut down on its light, I'll need a flashlight to walk around in my fish house at high noon on a sunny day :)

*****I know of our difference atm. Didn't feel like playing your advocate. Glad you did. That's why Michael's input would be valuable.

Inputed above ^^^
""""""""""""""""TheBiggerTheBetter:*****Yes, your guy's and my guy's behavior differs significantly in some parts and is very similar in others. Mine never begs. That's what worries me. It is just lying in its corner as if driftwood. But recently, a week or two ago, I gave it many tank mates suddenly. And it started feeding exceptionally well. Although he drives them away from his tank end and bites them knocking out scales every now and then. The tank mates are two large giant siamese carp, two bala sharks, three tinfoils, and three red hooks.""""""""""""""""

Dont worry if yours doesnt beg...Mine does not either. Although since moving him to the pool where the top of the tank isnt accessible only via ladder I have been working with hand feeding and he has shown more interest in coming to the surface when I walk by.

"""""""""""TheBiggerTheBetter: *****All you say about their natural inclinations cannot be disagreed with. But this is a different matter. I am trying to separate out feed refusals that are beyond that and that MAY BE subject to space... and also lighting, etc."""""""""""""

I dont think its an entirely different matter myself. I think alot of wild behaviors and feeding patterns correlate to what we observe in the tank. I believe if your fish refuses to eat it has NOTHING to do at all with tank size. You should be looking at water parameters,temperature or possible disease as your primary suspect. Lighting shouldnt be a cause for a LONG term food strike..because as soon as the light goes off he should begin to eat. and if he does not and goes a week or more without eating again I believe you have a different issue on your hands.

Same to you Russ. Everyone knows you are the Wels Boss. But I wanna know the rule before I claim exceptions!
I believe Russ to be pretty humble. Spoke to him many times ( still online) but outside of the forum and I dont think he views himself as the Wels BOSS. We are all experiencing something great in the sense that we are observing the same species but under different circumstances which allows us to all contribute new information and findings which may benifit or interest another wels keeper. I do think you were being sarcastic lol but just saying.

Diidn't want a good debate turned into a "pissing match" haha... Im by no means the wels boss... just as always "observe and report" over here. On any given day, studies/facts can be on opposite sides of the spectrum i know...like Mike ( the op), I may bring in some different opinions maybe not thought about by a "sane" person who isnt constantly studying feeding patterens of any said species so much..lol... My main point is that maybe, sometimes, things are out of our control as keepers and there may be some underlying evidence to back them up like seasons and weather even in a "controlled enviorment". Its been brought up before in other cat sp. like b. fila and bagarius. I often thought those opinions were hogwash at the time but there may be some light to shed on the topic. Its hard to get past alot of opinions from keepers when most the time water quality is the underlying issue not something bigger like weather or season.
""""""""""RUSS:Its hard to get past alot of opinions from keepers when most the time water quality is the underlying issue not something bigger like weather or season.""""""""""

also completely agree lol. Most keepers not specifically talking about wels keepers but fish keepers in general arent worried about water parameters as much as they are worried about tank size or how cool their tank looks in their house etc lol. This is the same reason why overseas people can get away with raising massive show quality flowerhrorn in a 20 gallon...Its the water quality not the tank size not the space...Give the fish good water and it will eat and grow is my stance ALTHOUGH Thats not to say I dont believe in giving your fish as much space as you possibly can. My sump for my wels has been JAMMMM packed with bio media called Bio Home and mechanical filtration(Matala mat & fine filter floss replaced weekly or so) . I also run Several pothos plants in my sump in addition to doing large waterchanges frequently. I Test my water ALL the time every waterchange if I remember. I sometimes do Bi weekly 80% waterchanges. however more commonly I do once a week 80% waterchanges. Which I think played a key role in the appetite and growth of my wels currently. throughout the entire time of keeping my wels I have had one nitrite issue for a week or so....other than that its always always been in check.

Now, I appreciate you all sticking around and following my thread and commenting. It makes me happy to see the discussion. I will try and reply in a timely manner although I dont remember to come on here everyday.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
I only try to feed mine on my days off, so by the time I get to the feeding days he hasn't eating anything that hasn't crawled into his pond for like 8 days. THen for 6 days we try to throw massivore or earthworms in there almost daily, and he always eats it all as soon as we close the lid.

Except in winter, when I've learned not to feed him at all. THe pond freezes over except for the filter anyway, I doubt he could metabolize any food.

As for water changes, I'm tossing out probably 80% of 370 gallons every two weeks. COmbined with light feeding. I honestly can't justify the cost of test kits anyway, not when all I'll tell myself after testing is "do more water changes". Yeah, he's small. But to be honest, that was kind of the plan. A gentle stunting, a bonsai wels, if you will. I still expect him to get to 4 feet, mind you. But if I'd been powerfeeding him at 78 degrees, I'd have nowhere to put him right now. He'd be HUGE already. Optimal, yes. But then reality hits. I'm so poor, ha ha.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I honestly can't justify the cost of test kits anyway, not when all I'll tell myself after testing is "do more water changes". Yeah, he's small. But to be honest, that was kind of the plan. A gentle stunting, a bonsai wels, if you will. I still expect him to get to 4 feet, mind you. But if I'd been powerfeeding him at 78 degrees, I'd have nowhere to put him right now. He'd be HUGE already. Optimal, yes. But then reality hits. I'm so poor, ha ha.

I'm gonna dig into ya a little. Please don't take offense. Just some serious questions/concerns.

""""""""""I honestly can't justify the cost of test kits anyway, not when all I'll tell myself after testing is "do more water changes".""""""""

whaaaat? I don't mean to offend you or step on toes ....but that's pretty ignorant to not own a Test kit. Or at least have some sort of Test or metric to base your judgements off of. Test kits are completely justifiable. Just like having a carbon monoxide detector in your home is justifiable. Yea it might not be valuable every day. But that one day you die from carbon monoxide poisoning it would have been worth it to have had something that alerted you prior. Same way as you might not need a test kit everyday....but the one day you might notive something a little off and might need to find out what's wrong it would have been justifiable. Also if you would tell yourself after testing to do more water changes then that either means (A) your water parameters are bad and you choose not to test so you can avoid it or (B) you don't fully understand what the tests mean and what to do to fix each problem. Which is fine we all been there, I would suggest looking into it more to better understand how important it is to the health of your fish to know what's going on with your water.

"""""""Yeah, he's small. But to be honest, that was kind of the plan.""""""""'

If that was the plan why didn't you get a wallago or something of the sort? Never been a fan of purposefully stunting a fish. If I'm getting the wrong impression correct me

""""""""""if I'd been powerfeeding him at 78 degrees, I'd have nowhere to put him right now. He'd be HUGE already. Optimal, yes. But then reality hits. I'm so poor, ha ha."""""""""

I'm not that well off myself. I was 19 when I first aquired my wels and had a terrible job...not that my current one is much better lol.... Now I'm 21 I get by I live at home kinda. Taking care of my grandparents and their house/upkeep of the house ...but whatever happens at the end of the day I make sacrifices to take care of my pets.... if that means i dont go out for a few weeks then thats what it takes. If that means i eat ramen or dont buy new clothes or dont get extras for a bit then thats what it takes....Whatever it takes, where there is a will there is a way. If there was ever a point in which I could not afford to feed or properly take care of my fish and provide reasonable accommodations for the fish I wouldn't own it much longer. I would find it a better home.

Again NO disrespect and I don't mean to offend I'm just responding to what I got the impression of from the outside looking in.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Nah, I used test kits for 5 years, I can tell you exactly what they're going to say before I test. Nitrates in my wels pond are probably hitting 40 or 50, it's time for a water change. I have so much biological media and I have it set up so well that I'll never see ammonia or nitrites.

I'd say exactly what you said. You are saying the right things.

Just like in phlebotomy class, they tell you to draw blood with the lights on. I don't anymore. I can feel the vein, I just drew a black lady in the dark, I couldn't even see my needle. There comes a point where it's okay to take off the training swords and admit you're a ninja.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
if that means i dont go out for a few weeks then thats what it takes. If that means i eat ramen or dont buy new clothes or dont get extras for a bit then thats what it takes....Whatever it takes, where there is a will there is a way.
Wait until you have a wife, ha ha ha. It's not your money anymore then. I rake in more than enough, I could buy a 500g tank right now if I wasn't to shackled to Mrs. Nope.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store