My Wels Catfish (silurus glanis) albino

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Hey, tell you what. I'll take a bit of my pond's water to my LFS sometime soon and let you know what it does. Most LFS test for free, I know Bridges' does.

Reactions: that_fish_Guy

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Oh, one final gentle counterpoint. I had to buy him before the ban. Right as we were having our first baby, and baby number 2, and came down with Crohn's. But that hell has finally passed. Now I can dig the pond. Don't need much cash to dig a hole, ha ha.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
Lady at the pet store did a slightly hasty but otherwise correct job of mixing and adding reagents. There were no detectable nitrates or ammonia in the 80g or the 370g, those were all I asked to check. No point in checking for nitrites, these tanks have been up for years and have emergent plants and duckweed.

I kind of thought I'd have nitrates, to be honest. So I'm glad you pushed me to check.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Hey thank you Michael and Knifegill for your input. Greatly appreciated on my end. I am learning too just like we all. I am glad to see such a perfect agreement in W13's and Michael's observations and thoughts. Perhaps what I saw has a different explanation than what I was putting forward (as tentative anyway), namely the size of the enclosure. Time will show, I hope.

Let's aim to continue sharing our facts and our interpretations of them.

... I believe Russ to be pretty humble. Spoke to him many times ( still online) but outside of the forum and I dont think he views himself as the Wels BOSS. We are all experiencing something great in the sense that we are observing the same species but under different circumstances which allows us to all contribute new information and findings which may benifit or interest another wels keeper. I do think you were being sarcastic lol but just saying..
W13 got the oldest and by far and large the biggest wels among us. I, and most other MFKers, view W13 as such, is all. He is also considered a TSN boss, call him expert. He won't admit it for he is a great fighter against own vanity but we are free to perceive him as such. No sarcasm here. Totally sincere. But he knows that. You are a bit out of the loop / tune after your self imposed exile but you'll catch up :)

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
I should add, the bottom of my filter in the 370 is an anaerobic bed, so that might explain the 0 nitrates...

The 75g has duckweed, pothos, a willow branch and a purple succulent that apparently loves the aquatic life.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store