Any Bonsai tree Keepers?

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
How big is the pot it is in? got a pic of it? With this time of year now would be a good time to root prune it and get it into a smaller pot if you want. Unless it is still small then you'll want to root prune it and put it into a decent size container/grow box to help thicken up the trunk. Shoot me a pic when ya get a chance.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
How big is the pot it is in? got a pic of it? With this time of year now would be a good time to root prune it and get it into a smaller pot if you want. Unless it is still small then you'll want to root prune it and put it into a decent size container/grow box to help thicken up the trunk. Shoot me a pic when ya get a chance.
Took this photo from one of my older threads but this is it. It's in about a half gallon pot.
20170824_072620.jpg

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
I would definitely leave it in a larger post for a while but it doesn't need to be that deep. What I would do would be to pull it out of that pot and do a root prune to remove the root ball by about half. Then I'd cut that black plastic pot it is already in down about half that height and repot it in there. That way it'll still have the ability to thicken up the trunk, but then when it is ready for a bonsai pot you will not have that much root work to do then because you'll already be halfway there.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I would definitely leave it in a larger post for a while but it doesn't need to be that deep. What I would do would be to pull it out of that pot and do a root prune to remove the root ball by about half. Then I'd cut that black plastic pot it is already in down about half that height and repot it in there. That way it'll still have the ability to thicken up the trunk, but then when it is ready for a bonsai pot you will not have that much root work to do then because you'll already be halfway there.
Thanks,that is kind of what I was thinking. How much longer should it remain in the cut down pot before moving it again?

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
I try to keep the repotting to every other year so the roots don't get disturbed too much. Far as when to put it in an actual shallow bonsai pot that just depends on how thick you want the trunk to get. If you're going for a 2"-3" trunk that could take 5-10 years of growing till it got there. On the other hand if you're going for more of a shohin style then you could get it into a pot a lot sooner and just work it into the shohin style.

Basically once you get it into a small bonsai pot the trunk slows down to a crawl far as growing so that's why you let it grow in a bigger pot till the trunk is the size you want. It can be hard to be patient though I know that myself. That's why I try to keep at least 12-20 trees so I can have some that are in post while others are still growing.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Sounds good,thanks.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island

Picked up another mugo pine today for only $9. Can't pass them up for that price!
Jealous....I've never seen any small mugo around her here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store