Salminus Franciscanus (Golden Dorado)

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I think they are about 15" maybe a little bigger.
I thought you were talking about big eye trevally. No, I have not considered big eye ATF. They might be too mean for me. I only have a 225g...haha

Too mean!?!?! Based on my experience they are the most passive of all the Atf species I've kept..... I raised my largest one in a 180. The one I have now in my pond I'm guessing is now larger, but I gaurentee they would bring a much larger return when you do sell them after growing them out then almost anything else out there.... Especially if you have a working group..... These things are breath taking once they get big enough to develop the streamers. And the feeding show is pretty impressive too.

Not saying there isn't other stuff out there, but take Salminus, Hoplias, and Hydrolycus out of the equasion and there isn't much for fun freshwater except Hydrocynus.....

Rhaphiodon Vulpinus would be a worthy candidate! But kind of the opposite end of the spectrum from Dorado - Do NOT know boundries well - smash into things, delicate.....

Reactions: moe214 and Dloks

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Agree with DB as far as characins monsters go.

Could get into catfish but majority don't shoal lol there's some cool oddballs though. Loaches shoal lol.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Agree with DB as far as characins monsters go.

Could get into catfish but majority don't shoal lol there's some cool oddballs though. Loaches shoal lol.
My Ornate Pims are damn near inseperable...... LOVE these fish..... A big ol silver streak of whiskers that cover an 8' tank in the blink of an eye....

Sucks they are such a pain in the ass to find, I feel like this fish have never been given the credit they deserve cause I think they're like Odoe - everyone passes judgement on experiences of keeping a single speciemen of a species that really enjoy and I feel almost need a group to thrive. I kept a single fish away from the group and sure enough alone it was imitation driftwood.......

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
My Ornate Pims are damn near inseperable...... LOVE these fish..... A big ol silver streak of whiskers that cover an 8' tank in the blink of an eye....

Sucks they are such a pain in the ass to find, I feel like this fish have never been given the credit they deserve cause I think they're like Odoe - everyone passes judgement on experiences of keeping a single speciemen of a species that really enjoy and I feel almost need a group to thrive. I kept a single fish away from the group and sure enough alone it was imitation driftwood.......
Don't feel like ornates may be something he's interested in, but definitely a cat to look into if he wants shoaling and to get into them. It is commonly know ornates are like bigger versions of pictus, when in shoals will be active. Can't specifiy anyone's experience off the top of my head anymore. But agreed they are a gorgeous cat and definitely have their niche in the hobby. There is a lot of unappreciated fish, and my only experience with odoe is a single specimen and I really enjoyed that fish. Wasn't skittish, aggressive feeder, wasn't easily punked but didn't start trouble. Nice colors once it got larger.

Ken hasn't showed any interest in cats that I've seen, but for some reason I can see him keeping something like an apurensis lol

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I agree - Ken don't seem all too keen on the catfish...... Just pointing out that the Ornates do really enjoy eachothers company - I just find it wierd that they are always within a foot of eachother. NEVER on opposite ends of the tank.

It just hit me - You know what he needs? A cross between Ornate Pims and Armatus. Those Vampire Sheet Cats!?!?! I bet a group of those would be something else.....

Reactions: moe214

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Beast mode bro!

Does the splashing water bother you? I think it would drive me through the wall lol.
Ever considered wave makers like a pair of Ecotech MP60's? This would fix the noise and need for water movement if so.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Beast mode bro!

Does the splashing water bother you? I think it would drive me through the wall lol.
Ever considered wave makers like a pair of Ecotech MP60's? This would fix the noise and need for water movement if so.
Some find the sound relaxing. lol
The return line can be below water but this is a hotrod so the louder the better :)

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store