Having problems and need help

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Was my thinking too, but have not been able to get a sample.
24 hours into start of prazi treatment.
Have had no luck getting her to eat yet. I have tried earthworms, muscle shrimp, and frozen blood worms. Been feeding other Ray first then trying to target feed her with metal tweezers ( used to smash food with this method). Breathing still seems very fast and labored her activity seems less than yesterday.
Will keep trying with worms and usaul food
Hello-

You are on the right track with the prazi treatment. I would say don't give up on prazi just yet. Sometimes I do not see the results until the start of the second treatment. For bad cases at least. As an example I recently took in a 20" henlei that is very skinny, sunken head and wouldn't eat either. She has finally started eating after about a week of efforts and prazi. The lights should be off, water warm and excessively oxygenated. For sure keep her separated from other animals.

Stick to earth worms if possible until she takes them. Blackworms can be a good alternative to younger/smaller rays. Sometimes throwing more food options at a stressed animal will result in no ingestion at all when smaller consistent amounts may have been successful. I got her eating via earthworms (triggers instinctual reaction to the electrical impulses from the worm and movement. Not until she had me sweating though.. Good luck man, keep us posted

top dog

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2013
South Africa
Hello-

You are on the right track with the prazi treatment. I would say don't give up on prazi just yet. Sometimes I do not see the results until the start of the second treatment. For bad cases at least. As an example I recently took in a 20" henlei that is very skinny, sunken head and wouldn't eat either. She has finally started eating after about a week of efforts and prazi. The lights should be off, water warm and excessively oxygenated. For sure keep her separated from other animals.

Stick to earth worms if possible until she takes them. Blackworms can be a good alternative to younger/smaller rays. Sometimes throwing more food options at a stressed animal will result in no ingestion at all when smaller consistent amounts may have been successful. I got her eating via earthworms (triggers instinctual reaction to the electrical impulses from the worm and movement. Not until she had me sweating though.. Good luck man, keep us posted
Thank you for reply
Panic a bit and did larger water change before moving over to metro, will sort out divider tomorrow.
Will do 30% water change tomorrow and do prazi and metro together. Is this advisable. Have done this before for other fish but first rays I have keep. So would like to know how to go about it, as they have different treatment legths between doses.

DanHOB

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2017
Essex
www.facebook.com
Definitely seperate from other rays, as they possibly not helping.
We did with our very sensitive and ill ray, she wasn’t eating, and lost weight, and by her breathing she was definitely stressed. We dosed the system with prazi and although no improvement straight away, took about 3-5 days for her to pick at food, she is now doing amazing and putting her weight back on. Extremely greedy.
Be careful with switching medications, can do more harm than good.
I feel for you, we have lost a few rays that just go into this state and refuse to eat, it’s horrible to watch. Good luck and I hope your ray comes out the other side.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
The indent in a sign of being grossly underweight. I agree that it is likely a parasite.

The two main medications I use for internal parasites are praziquantel and levamisole. Levamisole can be added to the water column. It treats roundworms/nematodes, it also boosts immune fuction according to some studies. Praziquantel if added only to the water column with treat some external parasites and those in the gills. It has a weak effect on internal parasites when dosed this way. I like to coat or soak food in praziquantel to get it into the digestive tract to treat the parasites directly. This has a greater impact with this medication.

Good luck. I'm unsure of the availability of those medication in your area.

To help stimulate the diet try soaking the food in fish or squid oil, mixed with garlic and worm blood. Marinade it. Hopefully that will get it to eat. Getting it to eat is the #1 concern as it is so underweight.

top dog

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2013
South Africa
yesterday afternoon did large water change, placed a divider in the tank to give the little girl some of her own space and did second does of prazi. Still no luck with earth worms, i tried leaving them whole so that they would wriggle a lot more hopefully encouraging her to eat, NO luck as yet.
light on tank are off except when i feed.
hopefully a few days into second dose of prazi and miracle will happen.

Reactions: DanHOB

top dog

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2013
South Africa
557C2466-29EA-4686-929E-5B9758E4A2A3.jpeg A26FA4BE-A966-46CE-BEB8-6C06C671E17C.jpeg Up date
Have not seen her eat but indent on her head seems to have gone. Still skinny, thin tail and hip bones showing. Hoping this is a good sign

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
The head dent gone is a good sign... Jay ( Dieselhybrid Dieselhybrid )is right it's a sign of being underweight but also can pop up from severe stress only. Follow his directions, its dead on.
Lights out, keep seperated, offer finely chopper live worms only several times a day. As many as you can. Once eating start injecting those worms with prazi.

top dog

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2013
South Africa
Hey all
Thanks for all the help unfortunately I arrived home from work to find poor little smudge had not made it. Feeling pretty dam cut up especially as she was far more active last night and this morning and felt like she was turning the corner to recovery. Guess it was painful and expensive school fees. Pretty stumped as to how and why. But guess I just got to ensure my other Ray crumpet does not go same way

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Hey all
Thanks for all the help unfortunately I arrived home from work to find poor little smudge had not made it. Feeling pretty dam cut up especially as she was far more active last night and this morning and felt like she was turning the corner to recovery. Guess it was painful and expensive school fees. Pretty stumped as to how and why. But guess I just got to ensure my other Ray crumpet does not go same way
Sorry for your loss man. We’ve all been there and learned tough lessens. Nice to see someone turn the experience into a positive for their other rays.

Reactions: DanHOB and top dog

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
T top dog ... once again... Im so sorry.... I know how much she meant to you

I cant for the life of me think what went wrong...
You went all the way and beyond to ensure you gave those two babies the best
Sometimes things happen that we cant find answers for....

Glad to see you still positive.. Im sure crumpet will bring you lots of joy

Reactions: DanHOB and top dog
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store