My Mahseers outside

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Looking good as always! I, for one, would be very interested in seeing a video on the filter.

Do I recall correctly that these are in a large concrete pond and your koi are in a smaller, preformed one?

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
You ever have any issues with them jumping? Or do you have a net over the pond?
I've lost about a dozen over the years due to jumpers. It's always been the Golden Putitora and never the ugly Neo Hex. I have a 4' fence around the pond. It wasn't until recently that I realized that they were going under the fence not over.

Beautiful masheers
Thanks

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Looking good as always! I, for one, would be very interested in seeing a video on the filter.

Do I recall correctly that these are in a large concrete pond and your koi are in a smaller, preformed one?
There is no bio filter on this pond. I have a UV and mechanical filter to capture big floating particles.
These mahseers are in a small 1600 gal preformed plastic pond. I do not have a concrete pond and haven't kept kois for many years. I wish I had a concrete pond which would make fish keeping easier. Plastic ponds are like aquariums (sterile). The dirt that blows in and gravel at the bottom of the pond helps. I know the sand and dirt is getting into the water because the inside of my UV is blasted away putting a small leaking hole through the unit.
Mahseers are really easy to keep and not demanding.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
There is no bio filter on this pond. I have a UV and mechanical filter to capture big floating particles.
These mahseers are in a small 1600 gal preformed plastic pond. I do not have a concrete pond and haven't kept kois for many years. I wish I had a concrete pond which would make fish keeping easier. Plastic ponds are like aquariums (sterile). The dirt that blows in and gravel at the bottom of the pond helps. I know the sand and dirt is getting into the water because the inside of my UV is blasted away putting a small leaking hole through the unit.
Mahseers are really easy to keep and not demanding.
So the 1600 gal pond holds enough BBs - substrate plus walls etc. - to make it work? There seem to be quite a bio mass. Do you feed very little?

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
So the 1600 gal pond holds enough BBs - substrate plus walls etc. - to make it work? There seem to be quite a bio mass. Do you feed very little?
That is correct. They are not that active during cooler months. I feed one cup of pellets a day during summer months which would requiring cleaning of the mechanical and partial water change weekly.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
Always love seeing your updates. Thanks.
Have to admit, I’ve thought about a top water plug and your pond on many occasions!!

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Pond temp is starting to warm up. Mahseers are very active and eats everything that falls into the pond including leaves from a near by tree and grass dangling over the edge. They are being fed one cup of pellets daily.
Colors are starting to pop. Wall algae is getting bright green and mahseers are starting to show their blue/copper and orange summer color.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
This is beautiful Ken
I. Might have said this before, but I think I am going to say again, this pond is what got me. Interested in tors.

They are all pretty big fellas there, how big are those Neolissochilus Hexagonolepis is one of them having a deformed head.

How. Is the growth compared between the neo and the tor putitora.

Have you ever seen tor yingjiangensis up for sale.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store