Senegal bichir tank mates?

Shanahandleit

Exodon
Jun 8, 2018
I know this has been asked already, but I wanted some fresh opinions. Could a senegal bichir do well with maybe an elephant nose, african brown knife, or african cichlids? Please answer!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
African brown and elephant nose should be fine. Will require some really pristine water quality.

Should be fine with most African cichlids i assum as well although I haven’t kept any cichlids.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Bichirs aren't as aggressive as they look, especially Senegals. It would definitely fit in with the oddities of Knives and Elephant Nose, but I would worry about the aggression of African Cichlids. I'm not really an African Cichlid guy, so I can't really say how they would fair with them since I know their aggression can vary from species to species (like most other fish).

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I know this has been asked already, but I wanted some fresh opinions. Could a senegal bichir do well with maybe an elephant nose, african brown knife, or african cichlids? Please answer!

I actually have my group of Senegal with 1 male African Peacock Cichlid but would not try this combination until you learn behavior of Cichlids. Absolutely wouldn't mix with Mbuna a smaller but more aggressive African Cichlid specie.
The Brown African Knife or African Elephant nose should be fine.

Reactions: clm08k

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I had a sen in a tank of cichlids. No real issues that I saw. I mostly had mbuna species even had a breeding pair of kennyi and brichardi cichlids. The male kennyi was a jerk, my wife brought home a really nice peacock male that the kennyi killed almost instantly. Other then that he was just a jerk to everyone including me during maintance and really any time I was near the tank. I grabbed him every time I did maintance didnt phase him one bit. I know alot of the babies disappeared and I assumed the other cichlids, but now knowing what I know about polys it was probably as much or more the sen. But anyway never saw them really pay attention to the sen.
I did see a large poly cant remember the type may have been an endli missing both eyes at the lfs. They said he was attacked by the cichilids that he was housed with at the persons house and since they are a huge pet store and have two vets on staff he was surrendered to them. One of the staff eventually took him home.
Like others have said you'll have to know your cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store