Looking for large community friendly cat... Suggestions?

Ozip

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2017
These are a good option if it comes in large. The larger lower jaws will make a meal of them as they are brought in 4-6inches. Even large ornates have a narrow face and may get swallowed by the large endli. It’s a slow grower as well. If needed will have to grow them out.

May need to consider bolt, vulture and ageneiosus sp.
I would say grow it out. Usually when I get a new fish I grow it out. Get the new fish eating. Ensure the fish has no disease. If you were to buy it and dump it right in to your tank huge risk.

Ozip

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2017
Also, sometimes you can find them big. May have to call around or wait a week or two though.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I can't decide which is the better fit (vulture or doofus jags) but I'm really happy with them.

I love juruense but not sure if the 24 inch width would work.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I would say grow it out. Usually when I get a new fish I grow it out. Get the new fish eating. Ensure the fish has no disease. If you were to buy it and dump it right in to your tank huge risk.
I am a big time quarantine guy. Made a mistake some years ago of introducing wild caught fish into an established tank and lost a ton of fish. So never again. But the likelihood is I will need to grow out whatever I decide upon. Just am looking for something that will be about six months or so, not a slow grower.

Also, sometimes you can find them big. May have to call around or wait a week or two though.
Been keeping eyes open for larger fish but will have to get local since shipping large fish would be expensive.

Reactions: Ozip

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I can't decide which is the better fit (vulture or doofus jags) but I'm really happy with them.

I love juruense but not sure if the 24 inch width would work.

I second the bolt cat. Only because I really want one lol
Ive been looking at your posts about your cats and seen how well they do with the polys and really want that same diversity without the tank looking like its just full of bichirs, lol. I think I have the Nigerian lap and Koliba sold so it makes room for a cat. Will keep you updated with that in my poly posts.

Just putting it out there, what about a synodontis eruptus? I know they dont get too big but tall bodied and fiesty enough not to be bichir food?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Can't say I can think of sand sifters. So I'll give my regular recommendations for 2' width lol. Trachy, sun cat, blochii, Asian upside down cat, nemurus.
I'd say look at bagrids, pims, and dw cats.

Reactions: DMD123 and justarn

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
What about pleco? My l095 pinecone is a gorgeous catfish:)
Max out about 15", normally for sale around the 10-11" mark.
Another option would be hemibagrus nemurus, they are sold as albino artc bit never exceed "14-15" in the aquarium ( thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter ), can hold their own but arnt overly aggressive, active, mine grew to 9-10" from 4" in 6 months.

IMG_20180329_202004.jpg Screenshot_20180620-073746.png

Reactions: celebrist

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Just putting it out there, what about a synodontis eruptus? I know they dont get too big but tall bodied and fiesty enough not to be bichir food
Mine just lives around his piece of vine and defends it when he feels like it. Otherwise peaceful. Far too fat to ever get eaten by my sens, but he's much smaller than the biggest I've seen as well!IMG_20180606_192607.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store