Looking for large community friendly cat... Suggestions?

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
What about pleco? My l095 pinecone is a gorgeous catfish:)
Max out about 15", normally for sale around the 10-11" mark.
Another option would be hemibagrus nemurus, they are sold as albino artc bit never exceed "14-15" in the aquarium ( thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter ), can hold their own but arnt overly aggressive, active, mine grew to 9-10" from 4" in 6 months.

View attachment 1320659 View attachment 1320660
I kept a rhino pleco with my upper jaw polys and it worked out pretty good but it was extremely territorial and would suck on my weeksii to try and move it and chase it off. I rehomed it when I went lower jaw polys. It would have got into too many fights with my current bichirs for sure. But I do like a good looking pleco.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Mine just lives around his piece of vine and defends it when he feels like it. Otherwise peaceful. Far too fat to ever get eaten by my sens, but he's much smaller than the biggest I've seen as well!View attachment 1320683
Ive always liked them but just never tried one out. It seems like a cat that might work for me but I wonder if it needs to be a bigger syno or if the eruptus is tall enough bodied where it wouldnt be an issue with large lower jaw polys?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Larger synos could work as a rule. Beware of exceptions. Eupterus is about as big as one gets apart from several other quite expensive and rare synos. It's just that eupterus is cheaply and carelessly farm raised and hence has poor genes and almost never reaches 1' it is meant to reach. Which may still be ok for you. It is hardly a palatable fish for your bichirs.

Decorus grow big too but may be shy / hider. So can be a eupterus though.

Medium Doradidae as stated can be considered too.

Ornate pims are rarely offered IME and vary wildly in their pricing. Too slow a grower for your purposes. Its kin blochii would be a better fit.

You would like the mentioned nemurus too, I believe.

I can't decide which is the better fit...
Thebiggerthebetter.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I loved my big pimelodus. Believe it was a blochii, around 10-12". Lived in a 6' tank with a bunch of cichlids. It got beat up here and there, took the abuse well and never was an aggressor.
You can see him here with some friendsgrp.JPG

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Larger synos could work as a rule. Beware of exceptions. Eupterus is about as big as one gets apart from several other quite expensive and rare synos. It's just that eupterus is cheaply and carelessly farm raised and hence has poor genes and almost never reaches 1' it is meant to reach. Which may still be ok for you. It is hardly a palatable fish for your bichirs.

Decorus grow big too but may be shy / hider. So can be a eupterus though.

Medium Doradidae as stated can be considered too.

Ornate pims are rarely offered IME and vary wildly in their pricing. Too slow a grower for your purposes. Its kin blochii would be a better fit.

You would like the mentioned nemurus too, I believe.

Thebiggerthebetter.
The eruptus I have in mind is from Wet Spot and is wild stock. I have also seen a Notatus available on Ebay, but not too sure on its origins.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
What about clarias?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Clarias will likely take out the cichlids. Should be ok with the bichirs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store