Silver Arowana not swimming and darting

Evoyang87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2018
Hi all,

I am brand new to the arowana community and a new proud owner of a very young silver arowana. Just yesterday my wife mentioned to me that my arowana has been acting a little weird. Upon observing my arowana, I saw that it was not swimming at all and just chilling in the corner of the tank close to the surface. I also noticed that when he did swim, he would dart across the fish tank only to settle back at the corner of the tank again. Last night I turned off the lights and turned down one of my oxygen generator and he started swimming a little more. This morning I woke up to see him back in his usual not swimming state in the corner of the tank. I tried feeding him bloodworms and he did eat a couple, but he seemed uninterested. He did kind of eat so that makes me feel a little better, but him being inactive does concern me.

Here is my tank layout.
55 gallon tank
Tank mates are: one Gold Severum and one Albino Bichir
Live plants
One Driftwood
Two heaters (unsure of the brand but will update once I get back home)
(update to the layout soon since I am posting this while I am at work)

I have had my silver arowana in the tank for about 3 weeks now and he is just now acting up. Something I want to mention is that he did eat a couple feeder goldfish the day before he started acting really weird. I am factoring that that might be the issue . I really want him to thrive so any help or insight would be great!!!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi all,

I am brand new to the arowana community and a new proud owner of a very young silver arowana. Just yesterday my wife mentioned to me that my arowana has been acting a little weird. Upon observing my arowana, I saw that it was not swimming at all and just chilling in the corner of the tank close to the surface. I also noticed that when he did swim, he would dart across the fish tank only to settle back at the corner of the tank again. Last night I turned off the lights and turned down one of my oxygen generator and he started swimming a little more. This morning I woke up to see him back in his usual not swimming state in the corner of the tank. I tried feeding him bloodworms and he did eat a couple, but he seemed uninterested. He did kind of eat so that makes me feel a little better, but him being inactive does concern me.

Here is my tank layout.
55 gallon tank
Tank mates are: one Gold Severum and one Albino Bichir
Live plants
One Driftwood
Two heaters (unsure of the brand but will update once I get back home)
(update to the layout soon since I am posting this while I am at work)

I have had my silver arowana in the tank for about 3 weeks now and he is just now acting up. Something I want to mention is that he did eat a couple feeder goldfish the day before he started acting really weird. I am factoring that that might be the issue . I really want him to thrive so any help or insight would be great!!!

What are your water parameters?

Evoyang87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2018
For some reason turning off the lights to the tank makes him more active, but still not chasing after any rose minnows. Is that normal?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
PH Level - 6.6
Ammonia Level - 0.25 ppm
Nitrate Level - 10 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm

What is the ph of the water coming out of your tap. How often do you perform water changes. Suggest stop feeding feeder Goldfish to the Aro. If feeders aren't quarantined they can infect your aquarium with parasites and bacterial disease.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Do you plan on upgrading soon like about 3 months or less. Silver Aro's grow extremely fast.

Evoyang87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2018
Do you plan on upgrading soon like about 3 months or less. Silver Aro's grow extremely fast.
PH Level from tap is 7.6

I do plan to upgrade but right now my arowana is about 7-8 inches long. Once it starts breaking the 1 foot threshold, I'll upgrade to a bigger tank for sure. I will go ahead and stop feeding it feeder fish and stick to bloodworms and beef heart unless you can recommend any food that is more beneficial. I was thinking crickets, but I have heard that the hard shell on crickets makes it harder for arowana's to digest.

Do you think there is anything wrong with the arowana as of right now? What are some measures or actions I should take right now to ensure he is good?

Evoyang87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2018
As far as water changes, I do one every sunday. Is this too often or not enough?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
As far as water changes, I do one every sunday. Is this too often or not enough?
If your ph is 6.6 you may be causing it to drop from cutting the oxygen generator on and off or your water changes may be too small % wise. Please don't do anything until other members experienced with this issue chimes in. Hikari floating food sticks are good for Aro's.

Evoyang87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2018
If your ph is 6.6 you may be causing it to drop from cutting the oxygen generator on and off or your water changes may be too small % wise. Please don't do anything until other members experienced with this issue chimes in. Hikari floating food sticks are good for Aro's.
Hopefully they do chime in. I don't wanna stick on this forum forever waiting on an answer. I'll see about grabbing some Hikari floating food sticks for now. I've turned the oxygen generator back up and for now and just left the lights off. The aro seems to be swimming a little more, but we will see. Fingers crossed and waiting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store