Hyde's aquascapes and fauna

JohnnyHyde

Exodon
MFK Member
May 27, 2018
Hello, fellow aquarists,

Decided to start a thread about my tanks - all the information and updates from time to time will go here. The main one is 247.5 litres / ~65 gallons and 2 others are 30 litres / ~8 gallons each (more like a farms for predator tank)
To begin with and make things a little interesting, here are few shots of the main tank:
1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

It's not the usual type of aquascape, where you get everything in the middle with a lot of space on all sides or something at the back of the tank and a lot of space in the front. The reason behind this is simple - the main tank can be viewed from all sides since it's a "room-dividing" tank (my workplace corner / rest of the living room). Also I'm interested in predatory fish, however they enjoy hiding in the daylight and having fun at night. To prevent not seeing them, I decided to make few huge caves from both sides, where you can see it from the inside too. The first picture with Erpechtoithys calabaricus's head and bamboo shrimp shows the "outside view" of one of the caves and the picture below shows inside: (due to different times of photo, calabaricus was already somewhere else...)
4.JPG
Overall info of the main tank:

Dimensions: 100 cm (39.37 inch) x 45 cm (17.72 inch) x 55 cm (21.65 inch). Glass lid. Egg crate on bottom.

Equipment:

Eheim 2217 external canister filter: prefilter sponge (seen in photos), inside: 1 coarse, 1 medium, 1 fine sponge; 1 bags of seachem matrix (1 litre each, 2 litres total), carbon filter pad. Both inlet and outlet are DIY: the outlet flute has holes in different positions to maintain better water circulation and move the surface for oxigen. (In case of too low oxigen, will add an air pump).

Heater: inline Hydor 200w.

Ligthning: DIY 8 x 10w Cree XM-L2 U2. Adjustable light intensity with timer. (however, currently broken, but will be fixed in few days)

Substrate:

2 litres of ADA Power sand L; ~15 litres of ADA aquasoil Amazonia; ~1.8 litres ADA Colorado Sand.

Decorations:

Close to 50-70 kg of Seiryu stone, 5 bonsai trees (dried in oven and boiled)

Plants:

Micranthemum ‘Monte Carlo’, Anubias nana petite (nana nana, mini mini, bonsai – it’s the same), Bucephalandra ‘wavy green’, ‘deep purple’ – will add much more bucephalandras later, but the LFS doesn’t have any ATM. Same goes for 2 'trees', which currently are missing leaves :)

Beginning: Dry start carpet on bottom for ~1-1.5 months and anubias for ~2 weeks. After fill up had my lightning broken (already about 2 weeks, but LEDs are coming), rescaped one mountain to decrease the amount of caves (there were 3 huge caves and many small ones) and planted the spare monte carlo on the mountain with a hope that it will spread.

Temperature: 25 Celsius.

Situation:
2 large bamboo shrimps and ~6-7 little amano shrimps were having fun since yesterday, when I introduced first few stars of the tank: Polypterus Senegalus albino (~3inch/8cm) and 2 Erpechtoithys calabaricus (~8inch/20cm each).
My first idea was, that due to switching tanks from LFS to my tank with live plants they will slowly acclimate (even though, when I introduce new fishes, I usually do something similar to drip method for fish acclimatization) to the new environment and basically act like plecos (those who had them, will understand). However, after first few minutes in the tank they started to explore more and more caves and playing with the current from filter flute like they were living in the tank for quite some time.

Next morning (this morning), I decided that it's time to give them something to eat...at least if they want to and here came the next surprise. I read a lot, that polypterus ain't eating well when introduced to new tanks and calabaricus also having a problem...well.... polypterus took 5 seconds, calabricus - ~10-15s to locate and destroy bloodworms.

Funny things about shrimps. When I started to introduce predators to tank, amano shrimps quickly understood that they aren't the tank bosses anymore (besides bamboo shrimps, which more less keep their routine of standing and filtering the water in the best current-wise place) they jumped to trees and not going to monte-carlo grass anymore. Bamboo shrimps on the other hand, haven't changed their routine and even attacked calabaricus, who swam nearby.

hpham

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Very nice, full tank shots please, so clean it looks like nothings under water

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Hello, fellow aquarists,

Decided to start a thread about my tanks - all the information and updates from time to time will go here. The main one is 247.5 litres / ~65 gallons and 2 others are 30 litres / ~8 gallons each (more like a farms for predator tank)
To begin with and make things a little interesting, here are few shots of the main tank:
View attachment 1324350 View attachment 1324351 View attachment 1324352

It's not the usual type of aquascape, where you get everything in the middle with a lot of space on all sides or something at the back of the tank and a lot of space in the front. The reason behind this is simple - the main tank can be viewed from all sides since it's a "room-dividing" tank (my workplace corner / rest of the living room). Also I'm interested in predatory fish, however they enjoy hiding in the daylight and having fun at night. To prevent not seeing them, I decided to make few huge caves from both sides, where you can see it from the inside too. The first picture with Erpechtoithys calabaricus's head and bamboo shrimp shows the "outside view" of one of the caves and the picture below shows inside: (due to different times of photo, calabaricus was already somewhere else...)
View attachment 1324353
Overall info of the main tank:

Dimensions: 100 cm (39.37 inch) x 45 cm (17.72 inch) x 55 cm (21.65 inch). Glass lid. Egg crate on bottom.

Equipment:

Eheim 2217 external canister filter: prefilter sponge (seen in photos), inside: 1 coarse, 1 medium, 1 fine sponge; 1 bags of seachem matrix (1 litre each, 2 litres total), carbon filter pad. Both inlet and outlet are DIY: the outlet flute has holes in different positions to maintain better water circulation and move the surface for oxigen. (In case of too low oxigen, will add an air pump).

Heater: inline Hydor 200w.

Ligthning: DIY 8 x 10w Cree XM-L2 U2. Adjustable light intensity with timer. (however, currently broken, but will be fixed in few days)

Substrate:

2 litres of ADA Power sand L; ~15 litres of ADA aquasoil Amazonia; ~1.8 litres ADA Colorado Sand.

Decorations:

Close to 50-70 kg of Seiryu stone, 5 bonsai trees (dried in oven and boiled)

Plants:

Micranthemum ‘Monte Carlo’, Anubias nana petite (nana nana, mini mini, bonsai – it’s the same), Bucephalandra ‘wavy green’, ‘deep purple’ – will add much more bucephalandras later, but the LFS doesn’t have any ATM. Same goes for 2 'trees', which currently are missing leaves :)

Beginning: Dry start carpet on bottom for ~1-1.5 months and anubias for ~2 weeks. After fill up had my lightning broken (already about 2 weeks, but LEDs are coming), rescaped one mountain to decrease the amount of caves (there were 3 huge caves and many small ones) and planted the spare monte carlo on the mountain with a hope that it will spread.

Temperature: 25 Celsius.

Situation:
2 large bamboo shrimps and ~6-7 little amano shrimps were having fun since yesterday, when I introduced first few stars of the tank: Polypterus Senegalus albino (~3inch/8cm) and 2 Erpechtoithys calabaricus (~8inch/20cm each).
My first idea was, that due to switching tanks from LFS to my tank with live plants they will slowly acclimate (even though, when I introduce new fishes, I usually do something similar to drip method for fish acclimatization) to the new environment and basically act like plecos (those who had them, will understand). However, after first few minutes in the tank they started to explore more and more caves and playing with the current from filter flute like they were living in the tank for quite some time.

Next morning (this morning), I decided that it's time to give them something to eat...at least if they want to and here came the next surprise. I read a lot, that polypterus ain't eating well when introduced to new tanks and calabaricus also having a problem...well.... polypterus took 5 seconds, calabricus - ~10-15s to locate and destroy bloodworms.

Funny things about shrimps. When I started to introduce predators to tank, amano shrimps quickly understood that they aren't the tank bosses anymore (besides bamboo shrimps, which more less keep their routine of standing and filtering the water in the best current-wise place) they jumped to trees and not going to monte-carlo grass anymore. Bamboo shrimps on the other hand, haven't changed their routine and even attacked calabaricus, who swam nearby.
Hook us up with a full tank shot I love the hardscape and the plants

JohnnyHyde

Exodon
MFK Member
May 27, 2018
Since the tank is viewed from all angles, I decided to add black fabric on the backside when taking photos. Will be adding more pictures a bit later. Also, as you can see, trees on the right side are missing leaves - the reason is simple as mentioned before - LFS is lacking anubias as well as bucephalandras ATM.

5.jpg
Great news for my tank - yesterday repaired my main lightning.

Funny story: even the tank has a glass lid with only ~5mm (~0,2 inch) from both sides, but my cats decided to help calabaricus escape and somehow pushed the glass to make a nice 1cm gap at one side (left in the picture) which resulted in 1 calabaricus escape while I was in the same room (from the corner with termometer). Calabaricus avoided any harm and landed near tank and in few seconds, with my help, was back in the tank swimming.
To avoid this in the future (however, cats now avoid jumping on lid, when main lighting system is back on), I patched the corners on the tank.

If you have any suggestions, any tips - I'd be glad to hear them.

JohnnyHyde

Exodon
MFK Member
May 27, 2018
As promised, adding more photos: sides of the tank with huge caves (all three – both calabaricus and polypterus easily fit in each of them) and half of the view from the back (view when sitting near pc) with 2 bamboo shrimps, poly at the left side “sitting” on the mountain and amanos somewhere in the trees.7.jpg 8.jpg 6.jpg
Also, since I got poly and calabaricus', I started feeding daily those lovely creatures and that comes at a bit of "expense" - today I saw some detritus worms near the place where I feed my fish. Nothing serious, just a few of them, but that indicates that I overfeed... so going back to my 1time/2days feeding regime.

Moreover, yesterday at the evening I added first 4 guppy fry from my farm tank to see whether my dinosaurs are able to hunt themselves and not eat something that is placed already dead for them. While calabaricus' ignored them at first (I have no idea what happened at night), poly started hunting right away. Even tried to hunt down amano shrimp, which was near fry... however unsuccessfully, but after 8 hours of night - guppies are nowhere to be seen, so probably he made some success.

How much do you feed your bichirs/calabaricus? I gave them a piece of frozen bloodworms the size of their heads, but after eating most of it, they usually swim somewhere for 15mins and then come back to finish it... so I think, I'll be lowering amount of food too.

P.S. Water parameters are good: Ammonia <0.25 (lowest on my test), NO2 <0.025 (lowest on my test), NO3 - 1 ppm.

Last edited:

JohnnyHyde

Exodon
MFK Member
May 27, 2018
A little update. Amano shrimps somehow managed to befriend poly/calabaricus' and started going wherever they want. Moreover, they even started eating bloodworms together. Probably this friendship will last till the first taste...

Farm-tanks.
As I said before, I have 2 ~8gal (30 litre) tanks, which are basically farms. First one is housed with grown-up guppies and few other fish (L-201, albino bristlenose, who doesn't like to shave (male) and elephant snail)
f1-1.JPG f1-2.JPG f1-3.JPG f1-4.JPG

The second tank is full of fry and few red cherries with L-52 pleco.

f2-1.JPG f2-2.JPG

Also, I start to see that snails are getting a bit of a problem, so possibly will introduce that canibal snail soon and will keep switching it with elephant snail in order not to eat the orange fella.

P.S. Sorry, somewhere glass isn't clean enough - that's because I used a cotton fabric to clean it (from the outside, obviously) and my cats slept on fabric before...

PGJE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2017
very beautiful tank! nice job. you could enter that for this next tank of the month!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store