My LJ tank

Alexkoj

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2017
The Lion City
Your exusting stick us going into the new riank right ? Can can you just move all of the ild media to the new sump ?
pardon me? I am planning on moving all my old media into the new sump but the new sump is huge so 75% of it will be new media. I've just decholrinated the water too

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Even with the existing stock moving over I wouldn't add anything right away and try and feed lightly for a couple of weeks.

The old tank, decor, and substrate all are part of the bio filter. BB colonizes on those surfaces just like it does on the bio media. If your using the same color substrate I would add all your old substrate into the 300 along with the new stuff. It will help speed things up.

Pics man pics

Also if can pick up some tetra safestart plus. It's bb in a bottle you can quickly cycle a tank with it but to use that to cycle a 300 from scratch would be really expensive especially with the bioload those beasts put out.

What's the plan for the old tank ?

Reactions: Alexkoj

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
pardon me? I am planning on moving all my old media into the new sump but the new sump is huge so 75% of it will be new media. I've just decholrinated the water too
Yeah typing before coffee is a no no lol sorry.

It's ok to do as you planned you shouldn't have any issues.

As long as you keep the stock the same until the new media and other surfaces by are colonized with bb your good.

BB colonizes to match their food source which is the bioload your current stock puts out. So minus the substrate, tank, walls ect ect as long as you don't add new fish right away it will be fine it's already handling the current load. Pick up 4 bottles of the safe start if you can (not a must) but it would be fine to add it the day you move the fish over just to speed up getting the newer media cycled. You add it after you add the fish and shake each bottle like crazy before dosing

Alexkoj

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2017
The Lion City
Even with the existing stock moving over I wouldn't add anything right away and try and feed lightly for a couple of weeks.

The old tank, decor, and substrate all are part of the bio filter. BB colonizes on those surfaces just like it does on the bio media. If your using the same color substrate I would add all your old substrate into the 300 along with the new stuff. It will help speed things up.

Pics man pics

Also if can pick up some tetra safestart plus. It's bb in a bottle you can quickly cycle a tank with it but to use that to cycle a 300 from scratch would be really expensive especially with the bioload those beasts put out.

I’m actually using prodibio to kick start the B.B colony for the 300g. How long do u reckon should I should cycle the tank for before adding the polys in? Tried testing it with a silver dollar but it didn’t survive

Plan for the old tanks is to sell em.

Pics attached - sump isn’t as packed as I want it to be yet

1A45B578-1DF1-487B-ADDB-F32F1173DE9F.jpeg E6BF31AD-E185-4D59-A488-08948435BBBA.jpeg

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay

Pics man pics

I did the same thing with my 260g, used all the old sand,rocks and media from the 75g, then i used a seed bacteria bottle to add more and stabilized the water.
A839A841-9668-45D0-B9D9-3899E254B2E8.jpeg
Its the same thing as tetra safestart plus by like $5-$10 cheaper.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
No one will be able to answer how long it will take accurately. Just have to keep testing.

The thing is with out an ammonia source (fish waste or dosing ammonia) the bb in the bottle will starve and become a waste.

Old bb still in the old tank right ?

What I did with my 300 is move the existing bb. Mixed it in laundry bags (never letting it dry out) with the new bb and moved the fish the same day. I went through a mini cycle because of over feeding and not taking into account the bb lost in the older tank (sand, decor ect ect) threw in some safestart and was good to go.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Use any reputable bb in a bottle I get it off Amazon like 8 bucks I think. Only other one Iused was the seachem stuff and it didn't work.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
that's nice man. how many days did you wait after adding seed before introducing your polys to the tank?
I did what J jaws7777 mentioned on top, first the tank was not cycling so i drain the water then i added new water,added the sand and old media, then the fish the same day, then i waited maybe 24hrs for the chorine to be gone just to make sure that the seed bacteria that i will put wont die cause of the chlorine. I put whats instructed in the bottle, so maybe 3 full cup in the main tank and another 3 full cups in the sump.

Reactions: Alexkoj

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
No one will be able to answer how long it will take accurately. Just have to keep testing.

The thing is with out an ammonia source (fish waste or dosing ammonia) the bb in the bottle will starve and become a waste.

Old bb still in the old tank right ?

What I did with my 300 is move the existing bb. Mixed it in laundry bags (never letting it dry out) with the new bb and moved the fish the same day. I went through a mini cycle because of over feeding and not taking into account the bb lost in the older tank (sand, decor ect ect) threw in some safestart and was good to go.
Yeah i remember asking for your help cause its been two weeks and the tank was not cycling even i was adding the old water from the 75g to the 260g, it was so stupid of me to believed what they do in youtube on how to cycle the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store