My LJ tank

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Yeah i remember asking for your help cause its been two weeks and the tank was not cycling even i was adding the old water from the 75g to the 260g, it was so stupid of me to believed what they do in youtube on how to cycle the water.
Ahh it's not stupid just didn't know. Same with me. Mfk is great for sharing info. We all get to learn from each others mistakes.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I’m actually using prodibio to kick start the B.B colony for the 300g. How long do u reckon should I should cycle the tank for before adding the polys in? Tried testing it with a silver dollar but it didn’t survive

Plan for the old tanks is to sell em.

Pics attached - sump isn’t as packed as I want it to be yet

View attachment 1325039 View attachment 1325040
I love those huge overflows. Tanks gonna be spotless.

I had to play around with the direction of the returns but looks like that's gonna be optimal. Water will push down against the front panel then across the bottom and up into the overflows.
Good job man

Reactions: Alexkoj

Alexkoj

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2017
The Lion City
No one will be able to answer how long it will take accurately. Just have to keep testing.

The thing is with out an ammonia source (fish waste or dosing ammonia) the bb in the bottle will starve and become a waste.

Old bb still in the old tank right ?

What I did with my 300 is move the existing bb. Mixed it in laundry bags (never letting it dry out) with the new bb and moved the fish the same day. I went through a mini cycle because of over feeding and not taking into account the bb lost in the older tank (sand, decor ect ect) threw in some safestart and was good to go.
I did what J jaws7777 mentioned on top, first the tank was not cycling so i drain the water then i added new water,added the sand and old media, then the fish the same day, then i waited maybe 24hrs for the chorine to be gone just to make sure that the seed bacteria that i will put wont die cause of the chlorine. I put whats instructed in the bottle, so maybe 3 full cup in the main tank and another 3 full cups in the sump.
Thanks guys.. ill move the garnet sand and old media over when the old tanks are sold - any idea why the silver dollar didn't make it? the water was fully dechlorinated..

Alexkoj

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2017
The Lion City
I love those huge overflows. Tanks gonna be spotless.

I had to play around with the direction of the returns but looks like that's gonna be optimal. Water will push down against the front panel then across the bottom and up into the overflows.
Good job man
Thanks man.. a big add on for us poly keepers is that i specified slight raised underflows *in addition to* the overflows. so if you examine the pic in the previous page, the overflow panels are slightly angled closer to the base of the tank and those are the underflows to remove any pesky poly waste at the bottom. slightly raised to prevent garnet from being sucked into the sump

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Thanks guys.. ill move the garnet sand and old media over when the old tanks are sold - any idea why the silver dollar didn't make it? the water was fully dechlorinated..
That im not sure, SD are really hardy fish even when stressed out, something probably went really wrong but im not sure what.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Great looking set up and poly stock BTW! So jelly!

Most Characins in general don't do well in a new tank environment. Had a buddy drop in a group of XL Redhooks SD in a established tank. Stingrays, dats. Asian aro, polys, flagtail. He was in a hurry and didnt acclimate them long enough. All SD died within 2 hours.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
No decor in the tank right? Maybe strong current? Or drain to strong and sucking the fish?
kno4te kno4te might know why.
They are hardy fish but things like this happen. Lots stress in a tank full of sharp teeth or big sucking mouth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store