My LJ tank

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
not likely since i put just 3 SDs by themselves in the 300g to test the water quality. they exhibited those symptoms without nipping / additional stress
That's interesting. Even uncycled 3 sd's in a 300+sump I would think it would take a while for ammonia levels to rise to the point where it would be toxic that quickly.

Do you happen to remember how high the ammonia was ?

Alexkoj

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2017
The Lion City
That's interesting. Even uncycled 3 sd's in a 300+sump I would think it would take a while for ammonia levels to rise to the point where it would be toxic that quickly.

Do you happen to remember how high the ammonia was ?
I didn't measure the ammonia but when the SDs died i drained the 300g+sump and refilled and dechlorinated + added activated carbon. have just added 2 vials of prodibio last night too. will be adding in some tiger barbs later to test the water again

Reactions: Polyaddict86

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I didn't measure the ammonia but when the SDs died i drained the 300g+sump and refilled and dechlorinated + added activated carbon. have just added 2 vials of prodibio last night too. will be adding in some tiger barbs later to test the water again
Just remember like stated earlier without ammonia your BB has nothing to eat and will die. If you are adding prodibio you need to give it something to eat.
I'd say everyone in the pool! Deffinately bring the old bio with too.
Set up looks awesome!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Just remember like stated earlier without ammonia your BB has nothing to eat and will die. If you are adding prodibio you need to give it something to eat.
Set up looks awesome!
+1 toss in the Polys, old bio and decor. Feed on the lighter side you should be golden

Alexkoj

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2017
The Lion City
Set up looks awesome!
+1 toss in the Polys, old bio and decor. Feed on the lighter side you should be golden
are yall being serious about the transfer? i'm being super cautious cuz i dont wanna wake up and find all my polys upside down

edit: i just threw in 10 three inch tilapias to test the water. will leave em overnight and if they're still good the following morning ill introduce some polys.

Thanks btw twentyleagues twentyleagues :)

Reactions: twentyleagues

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
are yall being serious about the transfer? i'm being super cautious cuz i dont wanna wake up and find all my polys upside down

edit: i just threw in 10 three inch tilapias to test the water. will leave em overnight and if they're still good the following morning ill introduce some polys.

Thanks btw twentyleagues twentyleagues :)
Yes.

Without a food source the bb in a bottle will die off in the new tank.

A few pieces of tilapia aren't going to produce enough ammonia to sustain anything substantial.

As long as your old media is established you should be fine. No guarantee that you won't have an ammonia or nitrite spike but it's unlikely as long as you chill out with the feedings.

Alexkoj

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2017
The Lion City
Are we talking about meat or live fish?
Either way it wont be enough ammonia to support a large tank like that.
Old bio. Check
Old fish. Check
New sweet tank. Check
New bio. Check
Crazy expensive bacteria. Check (at least it was when I used it years ago)
Mix vigorously!
I will do that later today and post some updates. thanks guys!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store