New to Marine Info???

Miks786

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 23, 2017
Hey guys i would like some info please on keeping a marine tank..

A guy is selling a marine tank in my area and im interested in taking it off his hand but never kept a marine tank before.I thought since its a small tank i can learn about keeping marine.I have keep freshwater for many years but would like to try something different...

Its a 5 gallon tank with a heater,filter,some live rock, live sand and 3 Ocellaris clownfish.

I noticed the tank does not have a protein skimmer or anything different to freshwater..

What do i need to get this tank running perfectly? Or to even start a new marine setup that wont bust the bank and small?

TIA ;)

Any info would be highly appreciated

Brettnewell4454

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2018
40 is a good deal. You can run a tank that small without a skimmer. If you add more rock you really dont need any filter. Just a heater and a powerhead. Do whatever changes once a week. Do lots of research. As for tank size, smaller isnt always better. If you're going for a reef tank stability is key and smaller tanks fluctuate numbers a lot more.

Reactions: tlindsey

Miks786

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 23, 2017
40 is a good deal. You can run a tank that small without a skimmer. If you add more rock you really dont need any filter. Just a heater and a powerhead. Do whatever changes once a week. Do lots of research. As for tank size, smaller isnt always better. If you're going for a reef tank stability is key and smaller tanks fluctuate numbers a lot more.
I was not planning anything specific just wanted to keep a few small marine fish and make it look nice but i dont want to fail at doing so since i am new to this

Miks786

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 23, 2017
What would i need in the tank to keep about 4 ocsellaris or percula clowns?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
What would i need in the tank to keep about 4 ocsellaris or percula clowns?

I suggest just 2 either percula or ocsellaris due to the size of the aquarium and 4 may cause aggression issues. Try picking 2 that are getting along if possible. Get more live rock like was stated.

Reactions: Miks786

Miks786

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 23, 2017
I suggest just 2 either percula or ocsellaris due to the size of the aquarium and 4 may cause aggression issues. Try picking 2 that are getting along if possible. Get more live rock like was stated.
And live sand? and best filter for it?

Brettnewell4454

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2018
If you have a local fish store you could just buy premade saltwater. Should be about a dollar a gallon. Just change a gallon a week. And remember to top off with freshwater. Tap water is fine for a fish only tank. 5 gallons isnt much so 2 clowns and an anenome would work as long as the light is good enough for a nem. But the nem will have to wait. They need a 6 to 9 month mature tank. Sand is up to you. Some of mine have sand some dont. You dont need a filter. A hang on refugium is better than a filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store