What am I getting myself into

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Welcome to a fellow Capie!

Looking good there I just say that Gar and crayfish are illegal. Currently any shop with crayfish faces a several million rand fine and 30 days closure, and gar are blacklisted for import as far as I know. Please be responsible about these things.

May I ask where you got your del though? They're pretty hard to find down here :)

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Welcome B Beardedvillain_cpt , looks like you are in good company with the types of fish you are interested in.

Most of the cautions about the fish you have are already posted. Just a warning, things may be working out right now with the juvenile sizes they are right now, but it doesn’t take long for a few to outgrow the others and sometimes you will wake up with a fat fish and a few others are missing. Biggest culprit will be the rtc.

There are lots of diy threads on here you could check out for ideas and tips on how to build your own pond. That way you can learn from others’ failures and successes, rather than experimenting with your own basement. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Beardedvillain_cpt

Feeder Fish
Sep 9, 2018
Cape Town, South Africa
Sounds like you have some type of a plan. RTC and alligator gar can grow fast but the RTC will outgrow them all at twice-Three times the rate.
People on here have had them hit 2ft in year 1 so 2" a month by Xmas he could be 16" and easily big enough to eat your oscars which will be about 10"... Alligator gar may just keep up but I'm not up to speed on their growth.
I suggest getting a kiddie pool and pond filter or building a Joey DIY type cheap pond.
RTC and ag are just in a different league to your other fish, the oscars will eat slot of your others soon unless you keep a close eye.
Good luck pal.
Hey.. thanks man

I'm going to monitor there growth as times goes by and make necessary changes if needed. I have some friends who have same fish that has not past the 1ft mark in 1st year.. I've also read that in captivity the RTC and ag only reaches a foot in 1st year and then develops girth and nt length for a another year or so and length growth slows down tremendously .I also believe it has to do with feeding and tank size. I obviously don't want to stunt them as that's just wrong but il see how it goes and if they grow fast and nd I cannot accommodate I will seek a new refuge for them

Beardedvillain_cpt

Feeder Fish
Sep 9, 2018
Cape Town, South Africa
Welcome B Beardedvillain_cpt , looks like you are in good company with the types of fish you are interested in.

Most of the cautions about the fish you have are already posted. Just a warning, things may be working out right now with the juvenile sizes they are right now, but it doesn’t take long for a few to outgrow the others and sometimes you will wake up with a fat fish and a few others are missing. Biggest culprit will be the rtc.

There are lots of diy threads on here you could check out for ideas and tips on how to build your own pond. That way you can learn from others’ failures and successes, rather than experimenting with your own basement. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Thanks buddy

Yes il definitely go through some thread because I would love to keep them long term BUT if impossible il make a plan for them. I'm busy setting up the next much larger tank and so whoever grows to fast will be shifted and treated accordingly

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Welcome to MFK! Looks like your alligator gar are actually Florida gar.

Rtc catfish should grow 1-2 inches a month, for the first 24 months or so

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
So after some elbow grease my tank is finally running. Its just shy of 600 litres . Pics don't do it justice. Its huge in person and my fish look so tiny in it

View attachment 1335054
That's lovely! Hopefully the water restrictions are lifted soon and we can keep stuff sparkly clean.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store