What am I getting myself into

Beardedvillain_cpt

Feeder Fish
Sep 9, 2018
Cape Town, South Africa
Hey there forumites

I'm joining you guys all the way from Cape Town, South Africa

I've pretty much been into fish keeping since 7 years old so I have some good experience with regular community tanks,planted tanks aswell as 11 years of reef keeping.

However recently I've met some monster fish keepers not to far from me at a lfs and to my suprise I did not know these guys existed this side of the world lol. I also started following some IG pages with monster fish and some you tube vloggers like Zac catchem, joey DIY etc etc and that's when all he'll broke loose in my mind.

I now currently have a standard 3ft very low tech planted tank breeding some guppies and also have some baby polypterus sennegalus and polypterus delhezi in there and then above that I have a standard 4ft growout tank housing my 2 oscars which I have since tiny babies ,now about 5-6 inches aswell as a 6 inch polypterus sennegalus, a red tail catfish about 3 inches, 2 white iridescent catfish about 2-3 inches, a white spectre Lobster about 5 inches and 16 columbian red fin tetras.

After noticing the rather quick growth patterns of these fish I went out and got myself a (1600cmx700cmx600cm) 167galon (678 litre) tank. Now I know this is not ideal as a long term but I'm pretty sure I can house them for a long time before getting a final settling tank or possibly a exotic pond

Am I crazy.. that's the question my wife keeps asking me as for as long as I know, this is not a common practice here in my side of the world,unless there are guys hiding it away for there own pleasure, or I'm simply not looking on the right places

I'd appreciate some feedback on thoughts and ideas on keeping these fish happy and what to and not to expect etc as I'm myself trying to figure out if I'm on the right track and if I'll be ok long term in this particular style fish keeping

Cheers for now
Beardedvillain_cpt

Ps. Where should I post to start a tank journey thread

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I forgot to mention I have a alligator gar aswell at around 4 inches and all my fish are very happy eaters of hikari pellets,bloodworm,earthworms,brine shrimp,fish fillet and regular flakes inbetween

Here are some pics

View attachment 1334222 View attachment 1334223 View attachment 1334224 View attachment 1334225 View attachment 1334226 View attachment 1334227 View attachment 1334228 View attachment 1334229 View attachment 1334230 View attachment 1334232

Welcome Aboard

Tbh you have some very risky specimens. The Alligator Gar,RTC,and Iridescent Catfish will require a massive aquarium or pond. The Oscars should be upgraded to an aquarium over 300 gallons when fully grown with great filtration system and %50 or more weekly water changes. Personally I would get rid of the Alligator Gar, Redtail Catfish, and Iridescent Catfish if you have any doubts about upgrading while their small now.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Also the Crawfish aka lobster will snag any fish it can with those claws or be eaten when the Oscar, Redtail, or Gar gets large enough to eat it.

Reactions: Jexnell and Matteus

Beardedvillain_cpt

Feeder Fish
Sep 9, 2018
Cape Town, South Africa
Welcome Aboard

Tbh you have some very risky specimens. The Alligator Gar,RTC,and Iridescent Catfish will require a massive aquarium or pond. The Oscars should be upgraded to an aquarium over 300 gallons when fully grown with great filtration system and %50 or more weekly water changes. Personally I would get rid of the Alligator Gar, Redtail Catfish, and Iridescent Catfish if you have any doubts about upgrading while their small now.
Thanks

Yes I'm well aware that's why I'm going to be upgrading as rimes goes by. I am due to start some reno work on my home and part of the plan is to incorporate a fish room that will possibly house an indoor raised concrete pond for the bigger fish and various diferent size tanks for other specimens. I'm tired of hiding from my passion lol. This time I'm going to do what's necessary

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks

Yes I'm well aware that's why I'm going to be upgrading as rimes goes by. I am due to start some reno work on my home and part of the plan is to incorporate a fish room that will possibly house an indoor raised concrete pond for the bigger fish and various diferent size tanks for other specimens. I'm tired of hiding from my passion lol. This time I'm going to do what's necessary

Great to hear that and keep us updated.:)

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Iridescent shark may not grow past 5-12". It's pot luck with them. Some grow to 3' monsters, some don't. Yes there is the very slight possibility that it is a Giant Mekong Catfish, but that is VERY unlikely.

Reactions: tlindsey

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Sounds like you have some type of a plan. RTC and alligator gar can grow fast but the RTC will outgrow them all at twice-Three times the rate.
People on here have had them hit 2ft in year 1 so 2" a month by Xmas he could be 16" and easily big enough to eat your oscars which will be about 10"... Alligator gar may just keep up but I'm not up to speed on their growth.
I suggest getting a kiddie pool and pond filter or building a Joey DIY type cheap pond.
RTC and ag are just in a different league to your other fish, the oscars will eat slot of your others soon unless you keep a close eye.
Good luck pal.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK

70cm under a year for ag

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com