T-W

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2018
Belgium
www.toekie-world.be
Hi all there. I'm new here, after leaving the hobby for many,many years.
It's been over 15 years since I lost my 3.5 foot silver due to someone forgetting to tightly close the huge paludarium it lived in for over 7 years at my shop. I was devastated when I found her on the floor one morning. It also was one of the reasons I quit the hobby. She was like a puppy, that ate out my hand without snapping at me or just came over to say hello or be petted.
However after many years, while cleaning up the storage room, I came across a 60 liter (15 gallon) aquarium and set it up again as a planted shrimp tank.
You guessed it, I was bitten by the bug again. I now have a few medium to large sized tanks running again and the shrimp are gone and cichlids, puffers and ..... came back.

I just had the opportunity to buy 2 juvenile albino and a baby silver arowana that are in quarantine at the moment. They look fine but are very picky eaters.
Albino's are very rare in Central Europe so I took the chance.
Searching for more info on mutations doesn't result in much info so I was wondering if someone could help me out with the different mutations of the silver and black aros, descriptions and possibly with good pictures.
Here's a list of what mutation (names) I already found but hardly any descptions or any genetic info;

Osteoglossum bicirrhosum - Silver arowana
Mutations:
· Albino
· Rainbow
· Platinum
· Xantic
· Snow
· Longfin
· Short body
Osteoglossum ferreirai - Black arowana
Mutations:
· Platinum
· Melanistic

I would greatly appreciate any correct info from the experts here.
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi all there. I'm new here, after leaving the hobby for many,many years.
It's been over 15 years since I lost my 3.5 foot silver due to someone forgetting to tightly close the huge paludarium it lived in for over 7 years at my shop. I was devastated when I found her on the floor one morning. It also was one of the reasons I quit the hobby. She was like a puppy, that ate out my hand without snapping at me or just came over to say hello or be petted.
However after many years, while cleaning up the storage room, I came across a 60 liter (15 gallon) aquarium and set it up again as a planted shrimp tank.
You guessed it, I was bitten by the bug again. I now have a few medium to large sized tanks running again and the shrimp are gone and cichlids, puffers and ..... came back.

I just had the opportunity to buy 2 juvenile albino and a baby silver arowana that are in quarantine at the moment. They look fine but are very picky eaters.
Albino's are very rare in Central Europe so I took the chance.
Searching for more info on mutations doesn't result in much info so I was wondering if someone could help me out with the different mutations of the silver and black aros, descriptions and possibly with good pictures.
Here's a list of what mutation (names) I already found but hardly any descptions or any genetic info;

Osteoglossum bicirrhosum - Silver arowana
Mutations:
· Albino
· Rainbow
· Platinum
· Xantic
· Snow
· Longfin
· Short body
Osteoglossum ferreirai - Black arowana
Mutations:
· Platinum
· Melanistic

I would greatly appreciate any correct info from the experts here.
Thanks in advance.
narayanang76 narayanang76

Reactions: narayanang76

T-W

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2018
Belgium
www.toekie-world.be

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks, but I'm looking for info on South American arawana only, not the Jardini mutations.

Yes I believe MariaS MariaS may have some knowledge about SA Aro's.

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
T-W T-W ,

Welcome back.. once a fish lover.. always a fish lover
Life might take several turns but I think sooner or later the bug bites again

I do have some experience with keeping SA Aros... but Im no expert...we had a silver for 5 years... she was 1.1m long.... one day she jumped and broke the 12mm sliders on the tank... the rest you can guess..
I know how you feel.... she was mainly my son's baby but we live on same property and share the hobby so she grew up being looked after by both of us
She was also very tame.......ate out our hand and came to be patted too... so we were both devastated..
This was three years ago.....We are now raising a little albino silver who is growing out in my pup tank but will ultimately go to one of my son's big tanks.
She is too small to go in with his rays right now so granny is raising her
She was sold as an albino but does not have red eyes so I think she is xantic or snow but I am not sure

I am not an expert when it comes to all the different mutations
Some are pretty straight forward like long fin and short body.. they doing this to Asians as well
I have never heard of a rainbow silver...

As for feeding.. some Aros are picky... others not...and this applies to all Aros.. Asian or SA.
Also, most, be it silver or Asian .. are sulkers ... ie.. any changes or activity out of daily routine in the tank and they sulk and don't eat..
When moved from tank to tank.. same story
Whilst babies, I give whatever they want as long as they eat
The baby we raising now almost had me in tears a good few times... she was tiny and just wouldn't eat..
Then one day she went for crickets and she started eating better. At this stage we moved her from the 1.2m quarantine tank to my 2.2m grow out tank where I am growing out some pups, 3 datnoids and two Uarus
Datnoids are eating pieces of shrimp and just out the blue she ran and grabed the shrimp from the Datnoids so.. she started eating shrimp, I cut the pieces thinly and now she is taking food off my hand
I think key is patience and just offer a variety of food sometimes they do take some time to settle..

vincentwugwg vincentwugwg has a few if not all the various mutations of SA Arowanas, I have tagged him in here but have a quick search through his posts on this Forum as well as you tube as he has many, many amazing videos

Good luck with your new babies!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store