Central Taiwan Biotope Creation Log and Journal

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I may try later this week to get a few fish in there.

Just don't want to add fish before I know I am not going to be making any more major adjustments.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
I may try later this week to get a few fish in there.

Just don't want to add fish before I know I am not going to be making any more major adjustments.
How's the tank running, have you had to make much adjustments.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
The tank is doing well. All the algae however, has all but disappeared. Assuming nutrient and lighting are the main factors.

Here is a video of the stream showing the slower flow rate during the "dry" season.

I will post pics of the tank soon. Have been really busy lately.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Went out to look for fish. Well more to catch some. Easier said than done with a hand net.
I did manage to get several candidia barbata, Taiwan Horse Mouth (Direct translation of Mandarin name).
Not exactly what I was wanting to get as they are on the larger side but I will see what happens with them for a while as they are good at alerting water quality issues and apparently are used as a biological indicator species.
The flow of the tank is not nearly as much as I thought it would be and the fish look very comfortable swimming around. The guppies were put in a few days earlier to test water and help the new fish settle and overcome any skittish behavior.

Within about 5 mins of adding the fish to the tank, they were going after flake food and following the lead of the guppies.
The shrimp, of which there were 4, 3 small one medium, seem quite aggressive and will chase fish near their "turf". I will watch and see what happens there.

There were a few hitchhikers in the rocks and sand that are now coming out. I have not been able to identify any but will keep looking.

Some pics of them acclimating:
P_20181110_172020_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20181110_172028_vHDR_Auto.jpg

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Went out to look for fish. Well more to catch some. Easier said than done with a hand net.
I did manage to get several candidia barbata, Taiwan Horse Mouth (Direct translation of Mandarin name).
Not exactly what I was wanting to get as they are on the larger side but I will see what happens with them for a while as they are good at alerting water quality issues and apparently are used as a biological indicator species.
The flow of the tank is not nearly as much as I thought it would be and the fish look very comfortable swimming around. The guppies were put in a few days earlier to test water and help the new fish settle and overcome any skittish behavior.

Within about 5 mins of adding the fish to the tank, they were going after flake food and following the lead of the guppies.
The shrimp, of which there were 4, 3 small one medium, seem quite aggressive and will chase fish near their "turf". I will watch and see what happens there.

There were a few hitchhikers in the rocks and sand that are now coming out. I have not been able to identify any but will keep looking.

Some pics of them acclimating:
View attachment 1343931
View attachment 1343932
Looking forward to see how it all develops, good to hear the fish are eating and settling so quick.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Nice! I've found algae clumps in streams difficult to grow in aquaria, perhaps they need lots of fertilizers

Reactions: cockroach
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store