My M. Circumcinctus (half-banded spiny eel)

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
magpie magpie this thread has really inspired me. I have been looking at eels for about 2-3 months now. Reading this has really made me want one that much more. Now today I am going to be doing an Id thread because I’m not sure if I trust the lfs labels or employees. Lol. Thank you for sharing your eel journey.
Another small spiny to check out is the Macrognathus pancalus

Reactions: Matteus

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Still love the little guy - he's frequently out and about. I'll try to take some updated pics and measurements later.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
As promised, finally - updated pics of Mr. Wiggles the worm. (I have a newer Bolivian ram in there with him who is an attention hog.)

I just replaced some leaf litter and other random plant pods etc in the tank and again he really enjoys being near/partially under/in those things a lot. But he's not shy.

Sorry for missing a couple of spots on the glass - would have been better pics if I got it all. ;)

IMG_3970.JPG

IMG_4851.JPG

IMG_3039.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_7180.JPG

IMG_9490.JPG

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Bonus shot of the largest Kuhli loach I've ever seen - my only hold out from a group of 6 that I could never remove from my old tank (impossible to do without completely ripping it apart/draining it)... and then added bichirs so they sadly got eaten. This guy survived somehow, got beaten up and I managed one day when he was out to net him and move him into this small tank where he's been happy ever since. Solo, but alive. He's about 8 years old.

Kuhlis were my first eel/bichir like fish crush.

IMG_5094.JPG

Reactions: kno4te and Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
As promised, finally - updated pics of Mr. Wiggles the worm. (I have a newer Bolivian ram in there with him who is an attention hog.)

I just replaced some leaf litter and other random plant pods etc in the tank and again he really enjoys being near/partially under/in those things a lot. But he's not shy.

Sorry for missing a couple of spots on the glass - would have been better pics if I got it all. ;)

View attachment 1342140

View attachment 1342141

View attachment 1342142

View attachment 1342143

View attachment 1342144

View attachment 1342145
Great photos magpie, I love the big yawn on the last one. Lol.

Reactions: magpie

vperry

Feeder Fish
Jun 17, 2019
Oregon
hey magpie! I'm looking to adopt a half-banded spiny eel and I'd love to talk to you about your experience with one :) this thread has been super helpful but I have some extra questions that I'd like to ask someone. feel free to email me at valperry@lclark.edu. I hope to hear from you soon!

Reactions: magpie

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Still got my guy. Feel free to ask here or just message me through this site. Would prefer not to go through personal email if that's OK.

Pile_O_Rocks

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2019
Still got my guy. Feel free to ask here or just message me through this site. Would prefer not to go through personal email if that's OK.
[/QUOTE
What size of fish can you keep with them? Would they eat rummy nose? Would they eat endlers? How predatory are they?

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
They have small little mouths. I can't imagine them eating rummynose unless they were really tiny or fry. Mine doesn't go after any fish I have in there with him - only the food I feed. I wouldn't be worried at all.

Reactions: twentyleagues
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store