Flagtail Prochilodus question

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I have the same issue with mine. I’ve had it for a few months now and have hardly seen it take any veg matter outside of scrubbing the tank. I have tried pellets, discs, and fresh veg but it never seems to care.

Often I see it mouth the carn pellets but rarely ever swallows them. Hasnt grown a whole lot, just wondering if there are any tricks to get these guys to eat their veggies? Maybe threatening them with no desert or playtime or something?...
Mine wasn't a voracious eater either. In the beginning, it didn't seem like it really took in anything either.

Reactions: Matteus

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I have the same issue with mine. I’ve had it for a few months now and have hardly seen it take any veg matter outside of scrubbing the tank. I have tried pellets, discs, and fresh veg but it never seems to care.

Often I see it mouth the carn pellets but rarely ever swallows them. Hasnt grown a whole lot, just wondering if there are any tricks to get these guys to eat their veggies? Maybe threatening them with no desert or playtime or something?...
Try giving him some nori (unflavored type is best) it's like omnivore fish crack

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Thank you xraycer xraycer

I agree that the flag tail is beautiful. Thank you for sharing your experience. It helps me to understand what to look for. I feel like mine is a runt as well. The first few weeks it seemed to grow but hasn’t budged much since. But it seems as if that is the norm for these guys.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Thank you xraycer xraycer

I agree that the flag tail is beautiful. Thank you for sharing your experience. It helps me to understand what to look for. I feel like mine is a runt as well. The first few weeks it seemed to grow but hasn’t budged much since. But it seems as if that is the norm for these guys.
Before I got mine another MFK'er advised me that Flagtails actually grow pretty fast, which is exactly my experience as well, I've had mine for several months now and he just keeps growing and growing (way faster than his buddy NTT Datnoid) -- just out of curiosity Matteus bro what is approx. temp of your tank?

Mr Friendly Flagtail 11 Dec 18a sm.jpg

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
Wow so roughly 2” per year almost as slow as clown loaches.
Another fish in common!
Mine grows pretty slow but it likes to chew on floating food sticks from Hikari. I keep my water around 80 because I have loaches in that tank I want to grow out.
I’ve seen it scraping the driftwood but I don’t have any algae in that tank for it to eat. Mine will nibble on broccoli from time to time but as islandguy11 islandguy11 stated, it’s “The omnivore who wants to be a carnivore lol.”
Couldn’t be more true!

L Lockheed ive also never had any issues with flagtails becoming slime coat suckers. They have a mouth shaped more for scraping algae off of surfaces, not so much of a sucker mouth like you’d see on a pleco.

xraycer xraycer BEAUTIFUL flagtail! How big was it once it colored up like that?

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store