Dumbest display tank you've ever seen?

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
I know I am stepping on some toes but I cannot stand bare tanks. Nothing but fish, no substrate, no plants, rocks , wood. Anything. Makes me feel sorry for the fish and science has proven that it mentally stunts the fish
I am guilty of this one... with most of my grow out tanks. It's hard to move monster fish around when there are obstacles in the tanks...fish panic when they sense/see nets and ram into stuff. 80% of my tanks are for growing out. I do, however have a few tanks that have driftwood and/or plants in them. :)

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I’d say about 25% of the tanks I come across on Craigslist. They are either bare with crazy big fish in them or just filled with fake, bright neon, cartoony decor.
I’d also have to say any tank with glowfish drive me nuts. That would currently include my tank with my kids two glotetras in it. I cring every time I look at them. This is what happens when you let kids pick any fish they want. Ugh.

Now I myself am guilty of having many fake plants, volcano bobbler, and a treasure chest/scuba diver bobbler in my tank. Lol
Once I got more serious into fish keeping my taste turned to more natural decor. No more fake plants for me.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Check out my thread from 2007 when I went to Seoul, Korea. Hands down some of the dumbest displays, and in a public aquarium no less, that I have ever seen.
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...quarium-visit-15-5-07-load.70708/#post-872231

The tanks were weird, the fish choices bad and the decor really not suited for fish. Not sure if they have changed anything or not. But sure they must have.
Also, some tanks had loads of sick fish.

Some examples:
South Korea 063.jpg South Korea 064.jpg South Korea 065.jpg South Korea 066.jpg South Korea 069.jpg South Korea 070.jpg South Korea 071.jpg South Korea 072.jpg South Korea 082.jpg South Korea 083.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store