Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

Dumbest display tank you've ever seen?

Discussion in 'General Aquaria Discussion' started by FINWIN, Jan 5, 2019.

1. the big kahuna

Zo
      Today at 4:18 PM
      Most MFK veterans will recognize this tank.

IMG_1046.JPG

Dloks, Seedy J and Deadliestviper7 like this.
    2. Stanzzzz7

Stanzzzz7 Silver Tier VIP

Today at 11:38 AM
      There have been lots of studies on this. A natural stimulating scape is beneficial to fish health. You only need to do a quick Google search on the subject, it's been covered at quite some length.
      As for bare bottom tanks. I think they are detrimental to some fish. Depends on the species and its habits.
      Cichlids are born to dig. Its at the forefront of their evolution. Feeding and breeding strategies will associate a need to dig. I would say keeping cichlids without substrate could be stressful and quite detrimental to its long term happiness and well-being

3. The Morning

The Morning Candiru

Brad
      Today at 6:47 PM
      Hope that guys doesn’t live in Oakland since the team is moving. Lol

Deadliestviper7 likes this.
    4. fishhead0103666

fishhead0103666 Giant Snakehead

Brian
      Today at 5:29 PM
      I think my views on this topic have been mistaken, I wanted to see the article he got his information from as to perhaps gain something from it myself that I do not know.

As for being able to google such stuff I’m trying to not go to google for answers as much, I wish to see where my fellow fish keepers are gathering their information from instead of just going to google as I have done in the past.

Deadliestviper7 and celebrist like this.
    5. Fishflyer

Fishflyer Candiru

Monty Piepereit
      Tuesday at 1:52 PM
      Great idea. Mine have roomy mazes with such as rocks, plants, gulches, tunnels and wide open places.

6. Stanzzzz7

Stanzzzz7 Silver Tier VIP

Today at 11:38 AM
      Other than producing photos of an original article, how else could you share such a document without abstracting it from Google.
      From my understanding of cichlids for example . They are what they are today based on their breeding strategies It's what has made them the evolutionary success they are. In most cases that instinct evolves around digging in a substrate. Lots of cichlids will dig small pits to sleep in.
      Lots of other cichlid species use the substrate when feeding, geophagus, thorichthys and cribroheros to name a few.
      I guess bare bottom tanks do have there place for some situations. I can't think of any where that applies to cichlids.

7. Fishflyer

Fishflyer Candiru

Monty Piepereit
      Dumbest tank(s) (a pair of them) ever were those platform heeled shoes with live goldfish in the heels. Claustrophobic, earthquake, injury--- trauma. Just put them out their misery quick, that was torture, but I guess most goldfish didn't live long anyway in those conditions. But really? What a short, miserable, *****(pick your favoite mental epithet--or none). Life. .Gives new whole meaning to the phrase. Living in a fish "bowl". doesn't it?----heeelllp meee.

8. Fishflyer

Fishflyer Candiru

Monty Piepereit
      Yes, those were actual shoes people wore. ---not me!

9. Lepisosteus

Lepisosteus Redtail Catfish

Matt
      Today at 6:26 PM
      Google is fine to use. It’s a very good starting point for any research. Supplement your findings with scholarly articles. Try to find a bias in the work. On a topic such as bare bottom aquariums I highly doubt there will be much of a bias in published work.

10. fishhead0103666

fishhead0103666 Giant Snakehead

Brian
      Today at 5:29 PM
      I believe I read a thread about giving better information a little while ago and hendre posted a site where it shows articles like that. I’ll have to find it again.