Dumbest display tank you've ever seen?

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
To be honest those picture frame tanks are nice although they further the idea that fish are decorations. The reason they're only 4-6 inches in width is because of the weight I believe.
Now I would absolutely love to hang a couple of those with some nice decorations, a back ground, and some bubbles going up. Maybe some live plants but no live animals. You could do ramshorn snails, pond snails, or Malaysian trumpeting snails but I find they would ruin the beauty once they breed so much.

I know I am stepping on some toes but I cannot stand bare tanks. Nothing but fish, no substrate, no plants, rocks , wood. Anything. Makes me feel sorry for the fish and science has proven that it mentally stunts the fish
Provide a study backing that statement up?

Reactions: FINWIN

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I know I am stepping on some toes but I cannot stand bare tanks. Nothing but fish, no substrate, no plants, rocks , wood. Anything. Makes me feel sorry for the fish and science has proven that it mentally stunts the fish
Yeah, I have issues with keepers who "swear" by bare bottom and nothing else..there has to be a happy medium between maintenance ease and the mental health/stimulation for your fish. Weirder still is when people praise an empty glass box and call it a "great" or "zen" tank. I call it lazy as ****.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I prefer to have tanks that have no substrate with some pvc pipes and terra cotta pots for caves. Finwin, what is your opinion of that? I'm curious and would like to know.

Reactions: islandguy11

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Any tiny tank with toys as decorations and common monster fish(large catfish, arowana, large barbs and tetras) stunted in it, and the owner saying the fish are happy.
Don't forget the "macho" tanks with dragon heads, skulls, biker helmets, and plastic swords. Plan on seeing an RD or Butti in the tank, maybe a JD.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Pro
To be honest those picture frame tanks are nice although they further the idea that fish are decorations. The reason they're only 4-6 inches in width is because of the weight I believe.
Now I would absolutely love to hang a couple of those with some nice decorations, a back ground, and some bubbles going up. Maybe some live plants but no live animals. You could do ramshorn snails, pond snails, or Malaysian trumpeting snails but I find they would ruin the beauty once they breed so much.

Provide a study backing that statement up?
Provide one that refutes it?

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I prefer to have tanks that have no substrate with some pvc pipes and terra cotta pots for caves. Finwin, what is your opinion of that? I'm curious and would like to know.
No substrate isn't my personal preference but as long as fish have some privacy and 'get away' space it's all good. I've seen some nice setups with potted plants and pebbles with no substrate. It CAN be done tastefully but some keepers won't take the time.

I've heard of painting the outside bottom to reduce stress so fish aren't constantly seeing their reflection.

Reactions: celebrist

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Yes celebrist, I'm rather curious to see the study that you got your information from.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Agreed also bad for mammals,reptiles,birds etc.
It seems diverse habitats are needed for good mental health and stimulate immune systems,
Heck even proven in humans

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store