Dumbest display tank you've ever seen?

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Pro

Provide one that refutes it?
There have been lots of studies on this. A natural stimulating scape is beneficial to fish health. You only need to do a quick Google search on the subject, it's been covered at quite some length.
As for bare bottom tanks. I think they are detrimental to some fish. Depends on the species and its habits.
Cichlids are born to dig. Its at the forefront of their evolution. Feeding and breeding strategies will associate a need to dig. I would say keeping cichlids without substrate could be stressful and quite detrimental to its long term happiness and well-being

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I think my views on this topic have been mistaken, I wanted to see the article he got his information from as to perhaps gain something from it myself that I do not know.

As for being able to google such stuff I’m trying to not go to google for answers as much, I wish to see where my fellow fish keepers are gathering their information from instead of just going to google as I have done in the past.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I think my views on this topic have been mistaken, I wanted to see the article he got his information from as to perhaps gain something from it myself that I do not know.

As for being able to google such stuff I’m trying to not go to google for answers as much, I wish to see where my fellow fish keepers are gathering their information from instead of just going to google as I have done in the past.
Other than producing photos of an original article, how else could you share such a document without abstracting it from Google.
From my understanding of cichlids for example . They are what they are today based on their breeding strategies It's what has made them the evolutionary success they are. In most cases that instinct evolves around digging in a substrate. Lots of cichlids will dig small pits to sleep in.
Lots of other cichlid species use the substrate when feeding, geophagus, thorichthys and cribroheros to name a few.
I guess bare bottom tanks do have there place for some situations. I can't think of any where that applies to cichlids.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Great idea. Mine have roomy mazes with such as rocks, plants, gulches, tunnels and wide open places.
Dumbest tank(s) (a pair of them) ever were those platform heeled shoes with live goldfish in the heels. Claustrophobic, earthquake, injury--- trauma. Just put them out their misery quick, that was torture, but I guess most goldfish didn't live long anyway in those conditions. But really? What a short, miserable, *****(pick your favoite mental epithet--or none). Life. .Gives new whole meaning to the phrase. Living in a fish "bowl". doesn't it?----heeelllp meee.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Dumbest tank(s) (a pair of them) ever were those platform heeled shoes with live goldfish in the heels. Claustrophobic, earthquake, injury--- trauma. Just put them out their misery quick, that was torture, but I guess most goldfish didn't live long anyway in those conditions. But really? What a short, miserable, *****(pick your favoite mental epithet--or none). Life. .Gives new whole meaning to the phrase. Living in a fish "bowl". doesn't it?----heeelllp meee.
Yes, those were actual shoes people wore. ---not me!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
As for being able to google such stuff I’m trying to not go to google for answers as much, I wish to see where my fellow fish keepers are gathering their information from instead
Google is fine to use. It’s a very good starting point for any research. Supplement your findings with scholarly articles. Try to find a bias in the work. On a topic such as bare bottom aquariums I highly doubt there will be much of a bias in published work.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I believe I read a thread about giving better information a little while ago and hendre posted a site where it shows articles like that. I’ll have to find it again.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store