Guppy Line Breeding Project Log

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I really like the multicoloured male in the second last pic, he's quite beautiful. If you could somehow breed him and get similar ones with a little more blue that would be really cool as I think they'd be even prettier. :)
He is nice thanks but this line needs a lot of work.
We are looking to try breed his colors so the black portion recedes leading to more color in the tail.
This male, unfortunately, has a weak caudal penduncle so will only be used to add some color to the line and then removed after a few months.
We will also look to darken the black.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Some more pics from today.
I really need to practice with this camera and lens more. I am ok on auto settings but need to learn to tweak the manual ones to get better pics. Then I have to look more into editing to get better results.

The fish however are thriving. Tanks are filling with babies and for such young and small females they seem to be producing decent numbers. Changing to using aged water has proven to be a great step forward. I am not convinced the 40% every 2 days WC is as effective as we like to think but we are keeping it up. I think the diet is helping as well. We will soon look into starting BBS hatchery and some other cultures. Perhaps microworms and daphnia.

This is one of the two strains of the Endler type we have. I like these and they are easy to care for. The female is also nice.DSC01585.JPG DSC01587.JPG DSC01589.JPG DSC01590.JPG This is the strain of Ginga rubra we are looking to add blue to.DSC01719.JPG

These multicolor guppies are the most aggressive and most prone to eating their offspring. It could be due to their larger size compared to the other strains we have. The female sin particular go for gold. The tank has a lot of guppy grass in it.
DSC01496.JPG DSC01498.JPG

This blue strain will be mixed with one of the Ginga rubra strains to try to add more blue to it at a later date. The two males must be related as they came in at different times and different sizes but look very similar. The female sin this tank are young and only have a few offspring at a time. For now.DSC01522.JPG
Some of the growouts from before we separated all the colors/strains.DSC01725.JPG
These are some of the males we have growing out. We put them all in one tank to see how they would develop.
DSC01733.JPG

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
More.
The GR getting blue soon. ish
DSC01508.JPG DSC01512.JPG
The other strain of Endler type guppy we have. I really like the look of these.
DSC01518.JPG To compare the two strains of Endler type.
DSC01527.JPG
The bottom swrod Ginga rubra we have. We will work on sword shape and length as the fry develop and get ready to breed.
DSC01532.JPG

Delta tail Ginga rubra again.
DSC01536.JPG DSC01561.JPG
DSC01577.JPG
Our double sword Ginga rubra
DSC01678.JPG DSC01700.JPG

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Very interesting effect there! How did you get it?

Jmahn

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2017
Scotland
wow excellent thread and what a epic project to do in an educational environment so many topics could be covered :clap you should be very proud of yourself id love to see similar projects across schools here in the U.K

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Very interesting effect there! How did you get it?
I had the wrong settings and it came out like that. I very little bit of editing and boom.

wow excellent thread and what a epic project to do in an educational environment so many topics could be covered :clap you should be very proud of yourself id love to see similar projects across schools here in the U.K
Thank you and I agree. I am able to do so many cross-curricular subjects from science, to social studies, geography and even ethics.
We are currently learning genetic traits and heredity down to a chromosomal level as the students can see living examples of what we are talking about.

We even have shop class from it as the students build, replace and modify parts of the rack.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Some quick pics and updates.
The fish are breeding well and getting more prolific as the females get bigger. I am prepping for summer as no one will be here for 2 months so will move them to summer tubs at my house. The sunshine, open air and live foods should see them color up and grow nicely. I will have 10 tubs each with a sponge filter and overflow with protection so the rain doesn't wash babies away.

The lace guppies are producing a lot more fry than the other strains as is the delta tail rubra ginga.
There are now 3 tanks of yellow cobra/lace as fry from before have reached size and are already dropping fry.

Pics

The OG Yellow Lace Chief and his harem

The blonde lace guppies

Delta tail rubra ginga

Mixed fry of unknown parentage

Growout males and the rainbow ring

The endler type are picking up speed

Reactions: Dloks and Jmahn
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store