Dual Fx6 on 125 gallon questions

Jtevans86

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2019
I'll soon be setting up a 125 gallon American cichlid tank, probably mildly stocked with Thorichthys Meeki and Swordtails. Plan on adding another Fx6 to what I have. Is anyone running a similar setup? Do you use one mainly for bio media and the other for a mix of mechanical/bio. What kind of maintenance schedule might I expect. Like clean one every 2 weeks an alternate? I realize there's a lot of variables, just looking for any similar setup and a ballpark estimate.

Zimbick

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2018
Cape Coral, FL
I use an FX5 and a 150g rated wet/dry on a 210g. I like major current for my Retroculus X. and plecos from swift warm water rivers (Tapajos & Xingu). I chimed in because I like the biological but love the option of using Purigen, or any other media to remove whatever comes up. Recently I needed to treat with Cupramine and you have to remove it with Cuprasorb before you can do a water change and use any water conditioner (reducing agent) or the copper spikes and kills everything. So, use one for each, there's plenty of media trays to use what you want. I have a similar set up on a 300g, FX6 & 300g wet/dry...same reason current and over filtration for X-Lrg L14's and a 14" Tigrinus cat. I like having a sump so I can run a sponge filter in case I need a quick quarantine tank, or the usual reason...More Fish! Side note, and maybe someone better educated can answer, the gph on the FX filters is fast, I'm not sure the how efficient the biological process is in such quick turnover.

Reactions: Jtevans86

JF Sirois

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
I run one FX6 on a 150 gallon. People might think it's really low but the circulation in the tank is enough and my parameters have been perfect all the time for over 3 years. I've never been loaded with fish. The most I've had was maybe 4 6" inch cichlids and two plecos. I had a small HOB at the time. I also have a DIY biological filter inside the tank. I have no idea of the effectiveness of the filter. It's a 2 liter bottle filled with Media with an air pump pumping air from the bottom. I have no idea of the water flow it gets but I have it for more than three years. It can have helped with the parameters. With two FX6 loaded with biological media you would be more than good filtration side.

Last edited:

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
I have an fx5 and fx6 on my 125, along with a Rena xp3. The fx's are mostly biological and the xp3 is used for water polishing, since it's alot easier to pull out and change pads and purigen.

Reactions: Jtevans86

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
I'll soon be setting up a 125 gallon American cichlid tank, probably mildly stocked with Thorichthys Meeki and Swordtails. Plan on adding another Fx6 to what I have. Is anyone running a similar setup? Do you use one mainly for bio media and the other for a mix of mechanical/bio. What kind of maintenance schedule might I expect. Like clean one every 2 weeks an alternate? I realize there's a lot of variables, just looking for any similar setup and a ballpark estimate.
I am running dual FX6's on a 220gal that would be considered mildly stocked to most people on here. I clean my filters out roughly once a month, often times less frequently. I simply alternate which one I clean, and even then I never touch the bio media, I am simply rinsing the sponges and replacing the finer mech pads. The filters are rarely THAT dirty after even a month. I typically just eyeball the output flow from them and when I see one beginning to slow, clean it. Pretty simple.

I'd personally say dual FX6's is overkill on a 125gal Thorichthys tank. Many people believe more is always better, however it becomes redundant at a point. Regardless of how much surface area you have for beneficial bacteria, your "colony" will only be as large as what can be sustained by your stocking. Water flow, however, is a different matter and if you feel like you simply want more turnover you can easily add a powerhead/wavemaker.

Jtevans86

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2019
thanks for all the feedback guys. still on the fence about it, have thought about a ac 110 as a second filter as well. the fx6 for bio and the ac 110 fore polishing and ease if access. not sure if i wanna hear it run though. planning is still in the works but ive decided on a red head tapajo community tank, probably around 6-8 of them with dithers, a couple of angels or possibly a severum. Spiderwood and lots of java fern. getting excited.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store