Meet my finny friends...

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
You've heard me talk about them in other threads. Their actions and personalties. Welp, without further ado:

We'll start with KONG.

Kong
Size 6+"
Color: Predominantly bright orange but goes "patchy pink" at times

Distinguishing characteristics: Perfect body shape and balance, muscular with long trailer fins and tail. Has small nuchal hump, barely noticeable. Classic King Kong parrot.

Trait: Champion Thug

Kong is territorial and loves attention. He'll investigate anything new around the tank and once satisfied goes back to his area. Can be relentless when harassing a fish, will shoot across the tank looking for a fight. Voracious eater and fast swimmer. Quick to take off and hide when surprised or sees something he doesn't "like." Started to bully Brick once he got large enough to be seen as a threat, so they are separated. He tried to bully and chase Patch. She shredded his lips overnight as payback (he healed in a week. Upper lip and snout black and busted. Didn't affect his appetite any!) He's friendly overall when he gets attention and comes right up to the glass. Seems to not like other fish getting attention and goes after them mostly if I'm near the tank. Gets pissed and charges when you move things around but won't attack directly. Will follow you around the tank. He adapts the best to change when moved. Alpha parrot.

For reference size, the terra cotta pots are 8 inches.

Kong 5.jpg Kong 2.jpg Kong 4.jpg

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
You've heard me talk about them in other threads. Their actions and personalties. Welp, without further ado:

We'll start with KONG.

Kong
Size 6+"
Color: Predominantly bright orange but goes "patchy pink" at times

Distinguishing characteristics: Perfect body shape and balance, muscular with long trailer fins and tail. Has small nuchal hump, barely noticeable. Classic King Kong parrot.

Trait: Champion Thug

Kong is territorial and loves attention. He'll investigate anything new around the tank and once satisfied goes back to his area. Can be relentless when harassing a fish, will shoot across the tank looking for a fight. Voracious eater and fast swimmer. Quick to take off and hide when surprised or sees something he doesn't "like." Started to bully Brick once he got large enough to be seen as a threat, so they are separated. He tried to bully and chase Patch. She shredded his lips overnight as payback (he healed in a week. Upper lip and snout black and busted. Didn't affect his appetite any!) He's friendly overall when he gets attention and comes right up to the glass. Seems to not like other fish getting attention and goes after them mostly if I'm near the tank. Gets pissed and charges when you move things around but won't attack directly. Will follow you around the tank. He adapts the best to change when moved. Alpha parrot.

For reference size, the terra cotta pots are 8 inches.

View attachment 1354280 View attachment 1354281 View attachment 1354282
Next up is BOSS.

Boss
Size ~ 5"
Color: Solid blood orange
Distinguishing characteristics: Super thick round body type, "ball" shaped. Good trailer
fins but shorter than Kong's. Sometimes his chin is white looking like a beard.

Trait: Champion Digger

Boss has a quirky swimming motion because of his shape...he's like a bathysphere
with fins. He keeps his area meticulously neat and clean and will work over an area for
hours (less cleanup with this guy!) A decent fighter but was overmatched against the
stronger tag team of Kong and Patch. Somewhat shy at times and gets startled on
occasion. Friendly once he knows you and likes company beside the tank. He "creeps"
up to the front pane to check you out. Does this weird sideways float thing when he's
watching something outside the tank and his eyes move around. Sleeps at crazy
angles. Fastest swimmer and can turn on a dime lightning quick. Boss can push
sizeable stones around and stands them on end. Kind of a kooky fish, one minute he's
shy and the next he's acting like a punk...overall the most mellow parrot. He's the one
that actually 'greeted' me at the pet store. Reacts to outside motion quickly but takes
his time to come up when you enter the room.

Boss 1.jpg Boss 2.jpg 057.jpg

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Next up is BOSS.

Boss
Size ~ 5"
Color: Solid blood orange
Distinguishing characteristics: Super thick round body type, "ball" shaped. Good trailer
fins but shorter than Kong's. Sometimes his chin is white looking like a beard.

Trait: Champion Digger

Boss has a quirky swimming motion because of his shape...he's like a bathysphere
with fins. He keeps his area meticulously neat and clean and will work over an area for
hours (less cleanup with this guy!) A decent fighter but was overmatched against the
stronger tag team of Kong and Patch. Somewhat shy at times and gets startled on
occasion. Friendly once he knows you and likes company beside the tank. He "creeps"
up to the front pane to check you out. Does this weird sideways float thing when he's
watching something outside the tank and his eyes move around. Sleeps at crazy
angles. Fastest swimmer and can turn on a dime lightning quick. Boss can push
sizeable stones around and stands them on end. Kind of a kooky fish, one minute he's
shy and the next he's acting like a punk...overall the most mellow parrot. He's the one
that actually 'greeted' me at the pet store. Reacts to outside motion quickly but takes
his time to come up when you enter the room.

View attachment 1354283 View attachment 1354284 View attachment 1354285

And now, PATCH

Patch
Size 6"
Color: Ice pink to deep peach with red tipped black fins. Sometimes her body goes
completely orange overnight and she changes back in minutes. Why she does this I
have no idea.

Distinguishing characteristics: Huge expressive eyes that look 'dilated'. Has three vertical knots on her tail in a line.

Trait: Champion Foo Fighter

Equal in bulk to Kong, she has shorter paddle shaped fins but a long trailer fin on her
back. She's the only one to run Kong into a corner and keep him there. Once she laid
eggs it was psycho city and nobody was safe. Boss got bruises on his sides and belly.
Kong got two split lips. Brick got bounced like a pinball...so out she went into a holding
tank. My most energetic fish, she likes to make a mess by sweeping her tail and body
across the sand, making debris clouds. Will eat from my hand and expects me to drop
pellets in her mouth! That's when I discovered her teeth are the real deal and just
below her lips. Her eyes turn every direction including straight 'up.' Patch is bold,
fiesty, and fearless. She doesn't run or startle at motion. Lately she lets me tickle her
fins. Like Boss, she pushes stones around and pulled a heater out of the suction cups
in her tank. Playful when NOT laying eggs. Will notice immediately when you enter the
room, much like Kong.

Patch 1.jpg Patch 2.jpg Patch 5.jpg

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
And now, PATCH

Patch
Size 6"
Color: Ice pink to deep peach with red tipped black fins. Sometimes her body goes
completely orange overnight and she changes back in minutes. Why she does this I
have no idea.

Distinguishing characteristics: Huge expressive eyes that look 'dilated'. Has three vertical knots on her tail in a line.

Trait: Champion Foo Fighter

Equal in bulk to Kong, she has shorter paddle shaped fins but a long trailer fin on her
back. She's the only one to run Kong into a corner and keep him there. Once she laid
eggs it was psycho city and nobody was safe. Boss got bruises on his sides and belly.
Kong got two split lips. Brick got bounced like a pinball...so out she went into a holding
tank. My most energetic fish, she likes to make a mess by sweeping her tail and body
across the sand, making debris clouds. Will eat from my hand and expects me to drop
pellets in her mouth! That's when I discovered her teeth are the real deal and just
below her lips. Her eyes turn every direction including straight 'up.' Patch is bold,
fiesty, and fearless. She doesn't run or startle at motion. Lately she lets me tickle her
fins. Like Boss, she pushes stones around and pulled a heater out of the suction cups
in her tank. Playful when NOT laying eggs. Will notice immediately when you enter the
room, much like Kong.

View attachment 1354286 View attachment 1354287 View attachment 1354288
And finally, my prodigious grower baby O, BRICK

Brick
Size 4 1/2"
Color: A "Riger" baby Oscar...sooty face and fins like a Red, mosaic patters on his
sides like a Tiger. Orange/copper eyes.

Distinguishing characteristics: High backed and bulky for a baby O. Already 1" thick.

Trait: Champion Eater

A swimming Hoover Vac when it comes to food. If it hits the water its gone, doesn't
matter where you drop it. Brick will 'follow the finger' and is full of playful wild energy.
Comes in a flash when he sees the 'white bowl' or hears the bag shake. He loves to
explore every nook and cranny in the tank. Digs debris clouds among the rocks then
floats in the Pothos as a 'stealth' Oscar. Greed isn't the word...everything just goes
down the hatch. Then he'll search the sand for every crumb of food if it takes all day.
Brick seems to be transitioning into a Tiger. When I bought him at 2 inches he looked
like a copper Red but the patterns on his sides have become more prominent. Sticks
his nose in everything during water changes and cleanup, I have to shoo him away.
Just loves to hover and investigate! He might be my boldest fish despite being the
youngest. Poses by the ruler which makes measuring easy. Diet consists of various
Hikari pellets, bug bites, freeze dried bloodworms, peas, and sweet potato. Went from

2" to 4 1/2" in one month, 12/15/18 to 1/14/19.

Brick 6.jpg Brick 7.jpg Brick 9.jpg

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
And finally, my prodigious grower baby O, BRICK

Brick
Size 4 1/2"
Color: A "Riger" baby Oscar...sooty face and fins like a Red, mosaic patters on his
sides like a Tiger. Orange/copper eyes.

Distinguishing characteristics: High backed and bulky for a baby O. Already 1" thick.

Trait: Champion Eater

A swimming Hoover Vac when it comes to food. If it hits the water its gone, doesn't
matter where you drop it. Brick will 'follow the finger' and is full of playful wild energy.
Comes in a flash when he sees the 'white bowl' or hears the bag shake. He loves to
explore every nook and cranny in the tank. Digs debris clouds among the rocks then
floats in the Pothos as a 'stealth' Oscar. Greed isn't the word...everything just goes
down the hatch. Then he'll search the sand for every crumb of food if it takes all day.
Brick seems to be transitioning into a Tiger. When I bought him at 2 inches he looked
like a copper Red but the patterns on his sides have become more prominent. Sticks
his nose in everything during water changes and cleanup, I have to shoo him away.
Just loves to hover and investigate! He might be my boldest fish despite being the
youngest. Poses by the ruler which makes measuring easy. Diet consists of various
Hikari pellets, bug bites, freeze dried bloodworms, peas, and sweet potato. Went from

2" to 4 1/2" in one month, 12/15/18 to 1/14/19.

View attachment 1354289 View attachment 1354290 View attachment 1354291
Brick 8.jpg

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
Beautiful collection. That's some big personalities you have there. Love them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store