Baby red belly feeding frequency?

Vdubers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2019
Hi guys I checked out the piranha nutrition thread loads of great info there.

I currently have 8 freshly bought last week rbps they are all around 1inch in length (used to be 9 but one got eaten the very first day).

My question is how often should I be feeding them for optimum growth and more importantly so they are less likely to eat each other?

At the moment they are on 3x a day. Either a pinch of high quality flake, one cube frozen bloodworms, one small shrimp, or a pinch of pellets? I mix it up from day to day to keep it varied.

They are always asking for more food everytime I see them but I don’t want to be overfeeding them? Or is it a case of when they are young and growing feed them as much as they want as long as they eat it all?

With my other fish, mostly tetras in a smaller tank I am pretty stricked on not over feeding even when they ask for it but these won’t eat each other when hungry haha.
Thanks for the help.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi guys I checked out the piranha nutrition thread loads of great info there.

I currently have 8 freshly bought last week rbps they are all around 1inch in length (used to be 9 but one got eaten the very first day).

My question is how often should I be feeding them for optimum growth and more importantly so they are less likely to eat each other?

At the moment they are on 3x a day. Either a pinch of high quality flake, one cube frozen bloodworms, one small shrimp, or a pinch of pellets? I mix it up from day to day to keep it varied.

They are always asking for more food everytime I see them but I don’t want to be overfeeding them? Or is it a case of when they are young and growing feed them as much as they want as long as they eat it all?

With my other fish, mostly tetras in a smaller tank I am pretty stricked on not over feeding even when they ask for it but these won’t eat each other when hungry haha.
Thanks for the help.

At that size 3× a day small feeding not bad if you have time. Personally would add Tilapia to rotate with other foods. Tbh bloodworms hold very little nutrients. The best for growth is proper aquarium maintenance and weekly water changes.

Vdubers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2019
At that size 3× a day small feeding not bad if you have time. Personally would add Tilapia to rotate with other foods. Tbh bloodworms hold very little nutrients. The best for growth is proper aquarium maintenance and weekly water changes.
Thanks for your reply.
Tilapia isn’t that common in the UK. We do have general “white fish” in my local supermarket. This is often pollock. Looking at the nutritional info of “white fish” vs Tilapia it seems similar apart from the pollock has less fat. So could be ok?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for your reply.
Tilapia isn’t that common in the UK. We do have general “white fish” in my local supermarket. This is often pollock. Looking at the nutritional info of “white fish” vs Tilapia it seems similar apart from the pollock has less fat. So could be ok?
Yes that would be fine. The pellet food is the best nutritional option and you already have them on pellet's.

Reactions: Vdubers

Vdubers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2019
Yes that would be fine. The pellet food is the best nutritional option and you already have them on pellet's.
Thanks I picked up some basa fillets to try as looking at them they are very close nutritionally to Tilapia. Yeah they took to pellets really well. I saw in the nutrition thread they were good so thought it best to start right away.

Thanks for the help.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store