ALL FISH DEAD IN ONE NIGHT... HELP

KelberiFishLover19

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2018
Well typically most like to see around 20ppm of nitrate. 6-8 weeks is what typically takes for a fully cycled tank. Not a month. At least that’s what it is for me and many others.
I understand what your saying. For all of my tanks though, I cycle the, for a month. I have a 75 gallon growout with a peacock bass and an arowana who are small and cycled it for a month and they are doing amazing. I have also done other tanks for people and cycled them for a month. And I think if a not cycled tank were to be the case it would have effected them in the first week right?

KelberiFishLover19

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2018
I would also like to just throw this out there. Does the friend have kids that could access the tank? They easily could possibly put something in the tank if it happened overnight?
No, the guy’s kids don’t go near the tank and are 17 and 18 years old.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
What did you do with the tank the day, or several days before? Did you have a power outage overnight? Did the filter outlet shift resulting in it not aerating the tank? Did the filter get clogged? Does anyone else have access to the tank to possibly put something in it?

KelberiFishLover19

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2018
What did you do with the tank the day, or several days before? Did you have a power outage overnight? Did the filter outlet shift resulting in it not aerating the tank? Did the filter get clogged? Does anyone else have access to the tank to possibly put something in it?
No power outage, I just fed them that night, I was the only one around the tank that night, and everything was working fine.

jwitty

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2018
I understand what your saying. For all of my tanks though, I cycle the, for a month. I have a 75 gallon growout with a peacock bass and an arowana who are small and cycled it for a month. I have also done other tanks for people and cycled them for a month. And I think if a not cycled tank were to be the case it would have effected them in the first week right?
One time when I started my tank back up after years of gathering dust, I let is cycle for a month without fish and then put some in. They did good for a couple weeks then I’d have them die one every night. Got very frustrating and so I didn’t add any fish for more weeks. Fish stopped dying so added more. Now I rarely if ever have fish die. So I’d say new tank syndrome can occur weeks after adding fish.

Reactions: celebrist

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Well if nitrate were "around 0" maybe ammonia and nitrite were "around 0" to. Like cmon sounds like uncycled tank. People who don't really test say around and just assume the water is fine.

KelberiFishLover19

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2018
One time when I started my tank back up after years of gathering dust, I let is cycle for a month without fish and then put some in. They did good for a couple weeks then I’d have them die one every night. Got very frustrating and so I didn’t add any fish for more weeks. Fish stopped dying so added more. Now I rarely if ever have fish die. So I’d say new tank syndrome can occur weeks after adding fish.
Wow that makes sense. That tank hadn’t been working in years and it had hard water stains all over it. I cleaned it up and it was good as new. So maybe that’s what happened.

KelberiFishLover19

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2018
Well if nitrate were "around 0" maybe ammonia and nitrite were "around 0" to. Like cmon sounds like uncycled tank. People who don't really test say around and just assume the water is fine.
I test though. I get why you would say that. It has been a week or so since the fish died and when they died it was the last time I tested. I tested 3 times that day. I have forgotten what the parameters were so I said “around” because I wasn’t positive what they were at. I have also taken the water out and am re-cycling the tank. But honestly, I cycled the tank before. I’m not stupid that I wouldn’t cycle a tank. Especially when I’m putting 150 dollars of fish in a tank.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
you don't sound like an experienced fish keeper...

please understand that you are not providing any real valuable information and just alot of your own opinions with no real numbers behind it.

First off, how did you cycle the aquarium? Second, what did the fish look like when dead in the morning?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store