What's a solid heater for a 125 gallon?

DawnMichele

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2010
Florida
Hmm since it's limit they can wiggle out usually or make money off of repairs but hey thanks though it's still better than a 90 or 1 year warranty!
I was lucky with the guy I dealt with. He didn't ask questions or ask for a receipt. Told me what picture's to send and got my new heater.

Reactions: Jexnell

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
I was lucky with the guy I dealt with. He didn't ask questions or ask for a receipt. Told me what picture's to send and got my new heater.
Yeah...,I was going to do that with Eheim but didn't have a backup heater that was strong enough. Well actually I did have a backup garbage heater from China that's 500 watts and didn't work haha. So I was in a pickle today and needed a new heater ASAP. I ended up finding a jbj 1000 watt heater in the garage which I'm not sure works.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
The type of heater is not as important as the external controller you should get for it.

I use the Inkbird controllers from Amazon on all of my tanks and one of my aging barrels. Do some research and get a good heater controller so that you don’t have to worry about your heater getting stuck on. The Inkbird also has programmable alarms that cantell you if the tank is too hot or too cold.

I actually use cheap ViaAqua heaters on my tank. I have two 300 W heaters fromthem and they were around $15 each when I bought them. With the controller, they are doing just fine.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
The type of heater is not as important as the external controller you should get for it.

I use the Inkbird controllers from Amazon on all of my tanks and one of my aging barrels. Do some research and get a good heater controller so that you don’t have to worry about your heater getting stuck on. The Inkbird also has programmable alarms that cantell you if the tank is too hot or too cold.

I actually use cheap ViaAqua heaters on my tank. I have two 300 W heaters fromthem and they were around $15 each when I bought them. With the controller, they are doing just fine.
Never heard of an inkbird controller! Ran a quick search and basically you can use this for anything you want to control the temperature to the tee. Is this right? Looks like you can plug a space heater into it as well?

Any particular one from Amazon that you recommend? This is awesome thanks!

Reactions: Spence

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Never heard of an inkbird controller! Ran a quick search and basically you can use this for anything you want to control the temperature to the tee. Is this right? Looks like you can plug a space heater into it as well?

Any particular one from Amazon that you recommend? This is awesome thanks!
Yes, this can be used anywhere you need accurate temp control and can be used to power a space heater that is 1000 W or less. A lot of people use them in home brewing operations as well. I use the 308 model which has heating and cooling capabilities, I just don’t use the cooling outlet. There is a new model out and I posted a thread on it today, but it can handle 1800 W and can have two probes connected to it at the same time.

The probes do tend to fail sometimes, but replacement probes are $10 on Amazon and simply unplug from the unit for replacement. Most have better luck with the probes if they are sealed with plastic or silicone before putting them into use.

Spence

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2015
MA
I run the inkbirds on all my tanks. Have not had an issue with a heater since (also may be coincidence that I also switched to jager heaters at the same time). In my experience with heaters its always been the thermostat that went and they would end up cooking the tank. I've never had a heater that failed to turn on. I'm sure it happens, I've just never seen it. My current heaters have been in use for almost 2 years, so we'll see how long it lasts.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Yes, this can be used anywhere you need accurate temp control and can be used to power a space heater that is 1000 W or less. A lot of people use them in home brewing operations as well. I use the 308 model which has heating and cooling capabilities, I just don’t use the cooling outlet. There is a new model out and I posted a thread on it today, but it can handle 1800 W and can have two probes connected to it at the same time.

The probes do tend to fail sometimes, but replacement probes are $10 on Amazon and simply unplug from the unit for replacement. Most have better luck with the probes if they are sealed with plastic or silicone before putting them into use.
Excellent thanks again for the enlightenment! I'll check your post too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store