Predatory Goby's

B3RSERKER

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2019
I've been a frequent viewer of this website and community but just made an account, I have seen hundreds of posts and discussions. One that particularly caught my eye was some discussions on Sleeper Goby's such as the Marble Goby and the Water Cow. I've spent some time looking at these fish and have found them to be almost perfect in the type of fish I wish to care for. I can currently accommodate many of its needs (meaning that I would still have to acquire the rest of the resources) however, I am looking into the tank size. I currently have a 40 gallon breeder from Petco (36" x 18"). I can also care for the other needs (food, water changes, substrate, and décor). While I could and will upgrade to a larger tank size if nessecary, I am wondering if anyone knows of any other fish such as the Water Cow or Marble Goby that may be smaller. I also am wishing to know which of the two are larger and what is the absolute minimum size for the tank? I still have a bit to research before possibly buying this fish but I may just need some more info.

I know exactly what you want. Butis butis, the crazy fish. Get to about 6 inches and same care requirements as marble gobies (brackish, hard, alkaline water, fairly easy to wean off live). I have one (new) if you want I could give you some more info. May be difficult to find but I believe they have one at aquariumfishsale.com.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Marbled gobies don’t require brackish. I don’t think butis butis does either but a good suggestion. My experience with butis butis is from when I was younger and didn’t last a year due to tankmates. So can’t add much.

SharptoothBass SharptoothBass may know some other species.

Reactions: tlindsey

B3RSERKER

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2019
Thx to everyone, I’ve looked at butis butis before and I will admit that it looks and sounds like a great fish. However, the brackish requirement may be a bit to bear. I’m still looking at both the Water Cow and the Marbled Goby so I’m just wondering how could I get one and what is the absolute minimum (with the fish being happy) tank size for this fish. Also on a side note, is there much of a difference between the two species. Thx

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Thx to everyone, I’ve looked at butis butis before and I will admit that it looks and sounds like a great fish. However, the brackish requirement may be a bit to bear. I’m still looking at both the Water Cow and the Marbled Goby so I’m just wondering how could I get one and what is the absolute minimum (with the fish being happy) tank size for this fish. Also on a side note, is there much of a difference between the two species. Thx
The water cow is more manageable. I’d say you’d want a 4x2. A 125 would last a while but the 18” width isn’t gonna work forever. There’s a noticeable difference in behavior on average ime. Water cows are usually more out going. I’ve only ever had one marbled goby beg for food, but I’ve only kept three. Ime watercows are more of a pushover in comparison. Both can be greedy, and as far as tankmates will try to eat what they can fit down.

B3RSERKER

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2019
The water cow is more manageable. I’d say you’d want a 4x2. A 125 would last a while but the 18” width isn’t gonna work forever. There’s a noticeable difference in behavior on average ime. Water cows are usually more out going. I’ve only ever had one marbled goby beg for food, but I’ve only kept three. Ime watercows are more of a pushover in comparison. Both can be greedy, and as far as tankmates will try to eat what they can fit down.
I actually am looking to have this as one if not the only fish in the tank and to deditcate much of the resources to this one fish. I’m still looking into the care for it but the biggest problem is that I can’t seem to find one, if you know where or when (online, fish stores, and or conventions) please lmk and it would be greatly appreciated. I live in Mass but could honestly be willing to travel anywhere in New England if nessecary. Also, I was only looking to keep it in a 36x18 for a little while and was looking to upgrade to a 4x2 in the future.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store