Jardini Tankmates

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
They are nice fish in all honesty right now I can’t decide between getting a Midas or Oscars or Jardini
You mentioned jag cichlids earlier too. The 180 would be perfect for a big solo jag as well.

Do what you like of course, i also love the jardini, but i have resisted keeping them for a long time simply because my tanks were not large enough. Once they get large they really need space to thrive. I admire you doing your research and exploring your options beforehand.

MonsterFishGuy13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2019
You mentioned jag cichlids earlier too. The 180 would be perfect for a big solo jag as well.

Do what you like of course, i also love the jardini, but i have resisted keeping them for a long time simply because my tanks were not large enough. Once they get large they really need space to thrive. I admire you doing your research and exploring your options beforehand.
Who knew deciding which fish to get would be so hard hahaha

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
I have owned 2 previous jardini, and currently have one around 18-20". My first one would not get along w anything and went to another home. My 2nd got along fine w multiple Oscars and other cichlids, but that was a 350gal tank. The current is a super jerk. Picks on anything, even far larger fish. The ONLY fish that it has never bothered at all are datnoids for some reason. I don't know why, but datnoids and jardini seem to coexist peacefully from my expieriences. But ideally like others said a jardini would be happier in a larger tank than 180gal. Good luck.

Reactions: MonsterFishGuy13

MonsterFishGuy13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2019
I have owned 2 previous jardini, and currently have one around 18-20". My first one would not get along w anything and went to another home. My 2nd got along fine w multiple Oscars and other cichlids, but that was a 350gal tank. The current is a super jerk. Picks on anything, even far larger fish. The ONLY fish that it has never bothered at all are datnoids for some reason. I don't know why, but datnoids and jardini seem to coexist peacefully from my expieriences. But ideally like others said a jardini would be happier in a larger tank than 180gal. Good luck.
Are they fun to keep, by fun I mean do they have a personality like some of the other cichlids?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Who knew deciding which fish to get would be so hard hahaha
Oh yeah lots of possibilities. Im probably not even helping with all my rambling suggestions. Last thing I'll say is if you do want tankmates then go with the oscar. They are much friendlier than the other fish mentioned, just make sure the other fish have some size on them to avoid being eaten.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store