How many cats is enough?

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I have never actually sat back and looked what catfish I am currently keeping but reading some of the threads recently has made me take a step back and a look into my catfish world.
So here goes, from the small and common to the large or less common.
Ottocinclus * 5
Ordinary bristlenose plec * 8
Blue eyed white bristlenose * 12
Hoplo cats *2
Syno decorus * 5
Pim pictus * 5
Banjo cats * 4
Whiptail cats * 3
Shadow cats * 6
Red whiptail cats * 3
Microglanis iheringi * 4
Harlequin lancer * 2
Corydoras panda * 8
Corydoras trilineatus * 6
Fossilis cat * 2
Syno granulosus * 1
Syno nigrata * 2
Sperata aor * 1
Gibbiceps plec * 4
Cactus plec * 2
Brachyplatystoma juruense * 1
Mystus bimaculatus * 5
Hemibagrus nemurus (albino) * 1
zungaro zungaro * 1
Pseudomystus siamensis * 5
Notoglanidium macrastoma (dwarf giraffe) * 1
Bolt cat * 1
Hemibagrus wykii * 1
Syno eupterus * 3
Clown plec * 6
Mega clown plec * 4
Mystus leucophasis * 2
Lima shovelnose * 1
Syno schall * 1
Vulture cat * 1
Pim blochii * 1
Pim maculatus * 4
Giraffe (occidentalis) * 2
Clarias batrachus * 1
Red tail cat * 1
Tiger shovelnose * 1
Bagarius Yarrelli * 1
Brachyplatystoma Tigrinus * 1
Brachyplatystoma capapratum (filamentosum ?) * 1

I need to find more hours in a day, I am being slowly taken over, 133 cats of 44 types -if I haven't missed some.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
If you got the love/passion for them.....then never enough.

*cough *cough....unless u water quality goes down the hole along with ur money then forget it...lol

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Welcome to the Bewhiskered Anonymous. You most assuredly got a problem and have found the right support group. Clouded your future is but the belated bewhiskerness is your present.

For one, I'd like to see your Pimelodus maculatus and to learn how you got their ID. I don't know anyone keeping this exceedingly rare fish.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Victor, your losing it as much as I am, I'm not new round here, just realized I have never listed what I am keeping in the catfish line. And note, no red tail cats of the Hemibagrus variety, the Wykii did for the three brothers in the pond in the end. And I have now cut the inner pond liner in a number of places to a) let more cats behind and b) get circulation in there and get rid of the crap and toxins from having a second liner with water and Wykii behind it.

The id of the maculatus is something we have discussed a while ago and the y were sold as macular is by Pier acoustics and they supplied the fish and photo ( like they do for many cats) on Julians website.(planetcatfish.com)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I see. Thanks for the info. If the Pimelodus had been ID'ed as maculatus on Planet Catfish, that's quite trustworthy then. I'd really appreciate a thread on them with some updates every now and then, as you pleased.

As mentioned before, your piraiba is the true species, not the false aka capapretum.

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store