How many cats is enough?

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
They are. They make bubble nets in the wild. The only air-breathing bagrid I know of.
I really doubt they are, they come from muddy waters, but don't surface for air.

I did keep one for almost two years, before feeding it to my gar, the bugger killed everything, even cichla that were bigger than him and not a bottom dwellers.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
They are. They make bubble nets in the wild. The only air-breathing bagrid I know of.
I have never seen mine three come up for air in the 3 years I've had them (they are likely aor but could be acicularis). What is the source / evidence of your statement?

thanks bbc.
What does this mean?

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
I have never actually sat back and looked what catfish I am currently keeping but reading some of the threads recently has made me take a step back and a look into my catfish world.
So here goes, from the small and common to the large or less common.
Ottocinclus * 5
Ordinary bristlenose plec * 8
Blue eyed white bristlenose * 12
Hoplo cats *2
Syno decorus * 5
Pim pictus * 5
Banjo cats * 4
Whiptail cats * 3
Shadow cats * 6
Red whiptail cats * 3
Microglanis iheringi * 4
Harlequin lancer * 2
Corydoras panda * 8
Corydoras trilineatus * 6
Fossilis cat * 2
Syno granulosus * 1
Syno nigrata * 2
Sperata aor * 1
Gibbiceps plec * 4
Cactus plec * 2
Brachyplatystoma juruense * 1
Mystus bimaculatus * 5
Hemibagrus nemurus (albino) * 1
zungaro zungaro * 1
Pseudomystus siamensis * 5
Notoglanidium macrastoma (dwarf giraffe) * 1
Bolt cat * 1
Hemibagrus wykii * 1
Syno eupterus * 3
Clown plec * 6
Mega clown plec * 4
Mystus leucophasis * 2
Lima shovelnose * 1
Syno schall * 1
Vulture cat * 1
Pim blochii * 1
Pim maculatus * 4
Giraffe (occidentalis) * 2
Clarias batrachus * 1
Red tail cat * 1
Tiger shovelnose * 1
Bagarius Yarrelli * 1
Brachyplatystoma Tigrinus * 1
Brachyplatystoma capapratum (filamentosum ?) * 1

I need to find more hours in a day, I am being slowly taken over, 133 cats of 44 types -if I haven't missed some.
How big is or did the clarias walking cat get? I have an albino I absolutely love but I e heard so many different people give so many different max sizes... my Male is about 13 inches right now

Reactions: Matteus

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I had two females which have passed away recently and now just have a male. All three were marbled and all three were in the pond and grew to 18" over many years. This seemed to be max length I have come across. Only difference is male much slimmer, females were probably 7" -8" diameter, male 6" diameter max.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Interestingly the sperata was bought from Wharf aquatics in UK - one of two places really well known for catfish and they just had it up as sperata, Indian giant river catfish. I questioned the type and was told it grew to 30" but not by one of the catfish experts who happened to be out on the day I travelled there. This told me nothing as aor grows larger than this and the thoughts were that acicularis only gets 12" range ( although that might have changed again). At £13 a fish i was not leaving them and took two. I grew my first one two years ago quickly to 16" but it strangely did not fair well in the pond over winter at around or just under 70 degrees despite everything else being fine. This time I have lost one trying to eat something way too big and choking to death. The second is may be 10" ( from 3" ) in 7 month and only eats pellets. Doesn't currently show any aggression.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store