Suggestions for a shallow tank....72x12x12

Cornkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2019
Im putting together a small shallow tank (acrylic) for a test run for when I build my 300 gallon and im looking for suggestions for stocking in such a shallow tank.....I plan on using this tank for a plant grow out (mostly Anubis) and would like to incorporate a school of fish....I'm thinking of Buenos aries tetras and cories.....is this a good idea?....plan on using sponge filters and a small HOB filters....Any advice is greatly appreciated

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I would guess it should be fine. Also, you may be able to get away with minimal filtration. That tank has a lot of surface area for O2, and would hold a lot of substrate for biofiltration. It will be a horror to heat with so much surface area, though. I would get some serious covers or look into fish that don't need much heat.
A riparium like that would be incredible. The tank is big enough that you might get some natural breeding, especially with a lot of plants, with the fry growing up in the plants. Cories might do too good of a job hunting down eggs.

Reactions: Cornkeeper

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
How about rainbow shiners? A river set up would be cool.

not really a good idea tbh in a setup like that. A great fish would be actual bw archerfish. Moderately hardy, will take most things, and thrive in a mangrove setup. They also like shallower water with a deep end. They're really interactive as well. You could also do a puffer and (my favorite) toadfish.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Im putting together a small shallow tank (acrylic) for a test run for when I build my 300 gallon and im looking for suggestions for stocking in such a shallow tank.....I plan on using this tank for a plant grow out (mostly Anubis) and would like to incorporate a school of fish....I'm thinking of Buenos aries tetras and cories.....is this a good idea?....plan on using sponge filters and a small HOB filters....Any advice is greatly appreciated
Sounds good, I was thinking cories before even clicking on the thread.

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
Since you want to use the tank as a grow out for your plants I would stick with your idea of a schooling fish. If it was my tank I would go with an unusual danio or rasbora and some Sumo loaches. Really cool little fish that doesn't bother plants and brings some interesting behaviors with some color. When you get those plants up to size you can send me some to say thanks for the good idea! lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store