Flowerhorn Fry

Blayzepwa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2019
Hi there! I just got 4 super red dragon flowerhorn fry, maybe a few weeks old.
I am wondering what to feed them?
I have tried:
frozen brine shrimp mixed with garlic and vitamins
crushed NLS cichlid pellets
Tropical flakes
First Bites

They go after it, but it looks as though they spit it out. They DO pick at the logs/substrate etc...but should I be worried? Are they still getting nutrients they need? Thanks!!!!

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Welcome to the forum Wendy -- TBH I've never really bred fish before so I'm sure others should be able to help you more and I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable will chime in -- the only other thing I personally can think of is possibly Infusoria: https://www.ratemyfishtank.com/blog/how-to-culture-infusoria-for-baby-fish.

Infusoria are smaller even than brine shrimp, but at a few weeks old already I'm not sure if this is too small for your fry and if they should be chomping on the brine shrimp by now. While I don't think he's into breeding nowadays, RD. RD. knows tons about fish dietary needs, and should be able to give some better advice than mine. Hope they start gorging soon!

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Hikari has a food called first bites. Little packets of fry food it's what I used with good effect. Also I suggest if going to breed let the algea grow all over everything. The parents heard the fry around to eat it.

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
Hikari has a food called first bites. Little packets of fry food it's what I used with good effect. Also I suggest if going to breed let the algea grow all over everything. The parents heard the fry around to eat it.
Thts the food I was talking about forgot the name.

Reactions: Jexnell

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I have tried:
frozen brine shrimp mixed with garlic and vitamins
crushed NLS cichlid pellets
Tropical flakes
First Bites
Any/all listed above will work - what was the previous owner feeding?

Just be careful with regards to overfeeding, remove uneaten food, and keep the water uber clean.

Reactions: islandguy11

Blayzepwa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2019
Thts the food I was talking about forgot the name.
Ya I tried that. They didn't appear to eat it. Yesterday I crushed up some Bug Bites and they seemed to eat those...I will keep trying. Thanks

Infusoria are smaller even than brine shrimp, but at a few weeks old already I'm not sure if this is too small for your fry and if they should be chomping on the brine shrimp by now. While I don't think he's into breeding nowadays, RD. RD. knows tons about fish dietary needs, and should be able to give some better advice than mine. Hope they start gorging soon!
I've never heard of that.. Is it frozen?

Any/all listed above will work - what was the previous owner feeding?

Just be careful with regards to overfeeding, remove uneaten food, and keep the water uber clean.
I can't get a hold of him... They were bought at an aquarium club auction, and I talked to him and he showed me pics of the parents (GORGEOUS, btw), but one of the fry wasn't doing well at all. Probably because they had been stuck in a bag of water all day. So we rushed out to get them home. I take out a bucket of water daily, making sure to vacuum up all the uneaten food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store