Hair algae

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
I have no idea why I got such a huge spike of hair algae but it’s crazy! My tank has been up for over a year I’d say now. I had hair algae and then it went away. Now it’s back! Along with that pink stuff that went away too. What is going on? How do I kill that hair algae? I purchased a slug already to eat it but is there anything else that can be done?

C8684B18-7B01-47E4-9E82-A3DA69C84FD7.jpeg

4258B84C-539F-4EE4-921B-6BDA59230307.jpeg

D537213D-ECAD-4876-9F47-49AD8A545BDB.jpeg

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
You have a nutrient problem you need to drive that down to starve it out so your cuc can do their job. Have you tried Nopox yet?

Reactions: Gourami Swami

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
What is nopox? And how do I figure out what nutrient is the issue? Use the reef test kit?
Yeah check your nitrates and phosphates. The gha might be absorbing it before you can test though. Nopox is Red sea chemical but you can vodka/vinegar dose as well. You can google how to lower phosphates and nitrates you are by far not the first salty to have this problem. I'm assuming you're using rodi water.

Here's what I would do personally

1 -limit food input and ensure any food being added is getting eaten
2- start doing large water changes frequently. I would do one 40% water change wait a day and repeat for 3 or 4 water changes to help reset parameters and weaken the existing hair algae.
3- remove as much hair algae by hand as possible, the water changes should help weaken the algae making it easier to remove.
4- implement gfo or other phosphate binding media slowly over time to help ensure that the phosphate isnt being absorbed by the alage first

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
Yeah check your nitrates and phosphates. The gha might be absorbing it before you can test though. Nopox is Red sea chemical but you can vodka/vinegar dose as well. You can google how to lower phosphates and nitrates you are by far not the first salty to have this problem. I'm assuming you're using rodi water.

Here's what I would do personally

1 -limit food input and ensure any food being added is getting eaten
2- start doing large water changes frequently. I would do one 40% water change wait a day and repeat for 3 or 4 water changes to help reset parameters and weaken the existing hair algae.
3- remove as much hair algae by hand as possible, the water changes should help weaken the algae making it easier to remove.
4- implement gfo or other phosphate binding media slowly over time to help ensure that the phosphate isnt being absorbed by the alage first

Sorry I’m still a noob with saltwater but what is GHA? I’ll do a test tomorrow after work to see where my numbers are and as for water, I use the saltwater from my LFS that I trust. Sometimes I do mix in my tap water to fill 2 gallons or so when the water evaporates. Till I can get saltwater.

Water changes I do 1x a week already.

I’ll try larger amounts on the water changes and see if I can pull some of that algae off.

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
Sorry I’m still a noob with saltwater but what is GHA? I’ll do a test tomorrow after work to see where my numbers are and as for water, I use the saltwater from my LFS that I trust. Sometimes I do mix in my tap water to fill 2 gallons or so when the water evaporates. Till I can get saltwater.

Water changes I do 1x a week already.

I’ll try larger amounts on the water changes and see if I can pull some of that algae off.
GHA is green hair algae huh! Hahaha whoops! Tired.

Soooo I also have a protein skimmer and I’m upgrading eventually to an fx4. My lfs recomended it cuz of the 700gph flow. I have a 50 gallon tank with a canister filter that does 100gph flow now.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Could also help to add a refugium with macroalgae and a dedicated light, to outcompete the algae. I have been running a mini refugium in my reef for probably 5 months now, and I barely get any algae. Lots of people make easy DIY fuges out of aquaclear filters, and get LED lights from amazon to grow the algae. Mine is submersible
aio6.6.jpg

Blue light is growing the algae in that chamber

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store