Jardini is getting worse! I need advice. Tail rot.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Likely stressed and would stop dosing the kanamycin. I’d dab the area in methylene blue ona qtip. Gotta get the fish to eat and likely the reason not better. Try soaking the food in some garlic.

Cabinetman 1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2016
Likely stressed and would stop dosing the kanamycin. I’d dab the area in methylene blue ona qtip. Gotta get the fish to eat and likely the reason not better. Try soaking the food in some garlic.
Okay I will give that a shot. Not sure if I could hold him down with out more stress. He is about 10-11". Do you think it would heal If I just did daily water changes and used stess guard?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Okay I will give that a shot. Not sure if I could hold him down with out more stress. He is about 10-11". Do you think it would heal If I just did daily water changes and used stess guard?
If it was eating I’d say yes.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
You might just need to change medication. While not a Jardini, the fin on my SA lungfish started to rot away. The fish wasn't eating and would stay at the top of the waterline to breathe. I treated with kanaplex with paraguard as well as taking the fish out to dose the area with methylene blue, and it seemed to get better by not staying at the top of the water line to breathe but the tail just got worse, and by worse the fins still kept eroding until the thin bones of the fins were exposed. I switched medications to Seachem Polyguard (which has malachite green and sulfathiazole), and the tail rot stopped and it started to eat again. The SA lungfish fully recovered after running the course of the max treatment time of Polyguard.

Reactions: Cabinetman 1

Cabinetman 1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2016
You might just need to change medication. While not a Jardini, the fin on my SA lungfish started to rot away. The fish wasn't eating and would stay at the top of the waterline to breathe. I treated with kanaplex with paraguard as well as taking the fish out to dose the area with methylene blue, and it seemed to get better by not staying at the top of the water line to breathe but the tail just got worse, and by worse the fins still kept eroding until the thin bones of the fins were exposed. I switched medications to Seachem Polyguard (which has malachite green and sulfathiazole), and the tail rot stopped and it started to eat again. The SA lungfish fully recovered after running the course of the max treatment time of Polyguard.
Thank you. I was trying to decide on what to try next, I was told Erythromycin and Furan 2 is a good combo. Or maybe the Polyguard. Thank you again.

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
The dosage for kanamycin is 50-100 mg/L. Kanaplex is 31.7% kanamycin...

Erythromycin isn't a good choice for fish.

Cabinetman 1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2016
The dosage for kanamycin is 50-100 mg/L. Kanaplex is 31.7% kanamycin...

Erythromycin isn't a good choice for fish.
Thanks, I have worried about using the Erythromycin. I have some Polyguard coming tomorrow. I will take another picture of the tail. Most of which was dying has fallen off. So I am not sure if the Kanaplex worked but now he just needs time to heal. I will post soon.

Cabinetman 1

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2016
I gave him a break from meds before starting the Polyguard. His tail diiget much worse but not healing and still hasn't eaten more than a half of a bloodworm cube. While treating with the Polyguard how long did it take for your lungfish to eat. Thank you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store