Is Hemichromis Fasciatus the most aggressive cichlid?

Cichlid_Guy

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2019
Finland
I am very interested in large and aggressive cichlids and Hemichromis Fasciatus seems to be the most furious out of them all. I don't currently have the opportunity to own any big cichlids so I can just speculate. I don't have any personal experience with them either.

I know aggression usually varies quite significantly inside species, but I have gotten the impression that all Faciatus are complete psychos. They are relentless fighters, and I think their fighting tactics are superior to Central American cichlids (and other big Africans like the Buttikoferi). I haven't seen any other cichlids of their size to combine lip-locking and agile fin biting in such a deadly manner. They are almost like super sized Mbunas with Dovii jaws.

Has anyone ever seen a Fasciatus to lose a scrap with another cichlid, or that one has lived in submission to a cichlid of different species? I know they are a super rare species, but I would appreciate any information about the aggression of this amazing cichlid! I dream of owning them one day (not with other fish of course), but it seems like next to impossible to get them to Finland.

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
I think pound for pound they are the meanest and best fighters but one wouldn’t stand a chance against an adult dovii. If you want meanest I would go for them but if you want strength and size I would go for a dovii.

Reactions: Cichlid_Guy

Cichlid_Guy

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2019
Finland
I know dovii are built like tanks, but are they agile enough? Fasciatus can also get preatty muscular and bulky while still being very fast. Just look at Zeus (Faciatus x Frempongi) swimming circles around a flowerhorn and shredding it apart in this video
(it's at the end of the video). In the video Zeus also fights and wins a dovii, but I don't give it much credit, because the dovii is much younger. Every dovii fight video on Youtube I have seen the dovii only lip lock and never attack other fishes sides or fins.

Last edited:

Cichlid_Guy

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2019
Finland
Honestly, what’s the point of this video? It’s just animal cruelty. Improper mix of cichlids, in a too-small tank, fought for sport and views on YouTube. That crap doesn’t belong in this hobby.
I don't support that either, I just tought it illustrated my point about the aggressivenes of the fish.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
No. Dovii is by far the meanest cichlid you can find relatively easily in this hobby.
I agree to dissagree. Dovii is nasty but there is some other cichlids thats quite nasty to. I have a pair of paratilapia polleni and they beat the living **** out of everything from time to time.

Same goes with my tapajos red pikes. The male is a comlete psycho with some nasty teeth. Same goes with caquetaia spectabilis.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Do you got any pictures of your C. spectabilis they are one of my dreams
Here you go. This particular one is dead now. But i have one more thats slighly larger then this thats on timeout in a 1000L sipaxtank with my ahole walking cats so its hard to get a decent photo of it.

20171109_181541.jpg

20171107_203851.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store