The fish of Dubai’s desert lakes

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are a number of Tilapine cichlids native to that part of the world, so would have made good candidates to relocation to Dubai, and would also be sand sifter, diggers.
Saratherodon galilaeus (lake Tiberius) Israel thru Sudan.
Any from the genus Tristramella like
T sacra Lake Tiberius
T simonis Lake Kinneret
Iranocichla hormuzensis from southern Iran
Plenty of others
the photos below are from a lake full of Tilapines in Panama

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Quite interesting! Thanks for posting :)
See if any buddies have a GoPro, that should do the trick!

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
There are a number of Tilapine cichlids native to that part of the world, so would have made good candidates to relocation to Dubai, and would also be sand sifter, diggers.
Saratherodon galilaeus (lake Tiberius) Israel thru Sudan.
Any from the genus Tristramella like
T sacra Lake Tiberius
T simonis Lake Kinneret
Iranocichla hormuzensis from southern Iran
Plenty of others
the photos below are from a lake full of Tilapines in Panama

This is great. Thanks Duane

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Quite interesting! Thanks for posting :)
See if any buddies have a GoPro, that should do the trick!
I found someone yesterday who has some underwater camera equipment. I am going to organize with her soon and get you guys some proper underwater footage.

Reactions: Hendre

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There is also another possibility, cichlids of the genus Danakilia may have been transplanted.
They also come from desert lakes in Eritrea that reach water temps over 100'F and (like Lake Natron) are very saline.
They look somewhat like Cental American cichlids in that males get a quite large nuchal hump (Kok in the parlance of our time)

Reactions: mattybecks

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
There is also another possibility, cichlids of the genus Danakilia may have been transplanted.
They also come from desert lakes in Eritrea that reach water temps over 100'F and (like Lake Natron) are very saline.
They look somewhat like Cental American cichlids in that males get a quite large nuchal hump (Kok in the parlance of our time)
Thanks. Ill check these out on google too. I just bought an underwater case today for myself, so ill be heading out again this weekend to get some proper underwater footage, and hopefully net one or two to photograph properly if I am able to.

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Very cool!! I wish that you could use a line in there just to get a better idea of what they are. Can you use a castnet there?

Reactions: mattybecks

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Very cool!! I wish that you could use a line in there just to get a better idea of what they are. Can you use a castnet there?
Sadly not. This might be pushing it. There are signs up everywhere that prohibit fishing, or entering/swimming in the lakes. But it is quiet now as it is Ramadan and summer, so there are not to many people and I can get away with walking in a little and maybe brining a small aquarium net with me, but I don't want to push it.
Catching these fish with a little aquarium net is going to be comical and nearly impossible, but ill give it my best try haha.

Reactions: robmcd
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store