The fish of Dubai’s desert lakes

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Sadly not. This might be pushing it. There are signs up everywhere that prohibit fishing, or entering/swimming in the lakes. But it is quiet now as it is Ramadan and summer, so there are not to many people and I can get away with walking in a little and maybe brining a small aquarium net with me, but I don't want to push it.
Catching these fish with a little aquarium net is going to be comical and nearly impossible, but ill give it my best try haha.
Ahh gotcha. Well thanks for the great post. Good luck and Ramadan Mubarek!!

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Ramadan Kareem!
I got some decent underwater footage this weekend I am pleased to say. It was a little tricky as when I walked I threw up sediment and fine sand, so some of the videos are not all to crisp. I also had to film looking down while my phone was underwater, so I couldn't always angle the phone correctly.

Otherwise the video turned out quite well. There are more species than I originally thought, and you will see a few shots in there of non-cichlids too.

So lets get to identifying !! Ill post the video on a separate thread titled 'The fish of Dubai's desert lakes - underwater footage".

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Hello guys I wonder if any one could guide me to the latest operations with the lakes in this thread

kind regards
Hi there,

I was there a few weeks back again (just desert camping, didnt do any under water filming stuff) and had a brief look at one or two of the lakes. Still loads of fish and birds, and I saw a smaller gar chilling along the reeds in the shallower water. I plan to have a proper look in coming weeks.

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Videos are no longer available mattybecks mattybecks I was interested in seeing what it looks like in Dubai with their lakes

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Videos are no longer available mattybecks mattybecks I was interested in seeing what it looks like in Dubai with their lakes
Hmmm thats strange. I will post the link again now (please see below), it works when I tried to view.
Sorry for the poor video quality, it was with my Nokia phone underwater

Cichlids of Al Qudra Underwater footage - YouTube

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Loved the vid even if water was murky it gave me a glimpse what it looks like. Very cool

Reactions: mattybecks
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store