Nano Reef

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Thanks, but I'm not growing anenomes in this tank, and a shorter cycle seems to have worked well for me. And as for the flow, the clownfish sleeps in the rocks, the flow is only super high at the top and front of the glass. In the video, the clownfish is looking for food since I had just dropped some flakes in, so he's pacing in the fastest part of the current.

Thanks man, yeah the Xenia has gone a bit crazy even with me snipping stems and giving them away pretty often. I love the way it looks when it's overgrown like this, especially now the longest tentacles wrap around the whole backside of the rock. But, it is shading my hammers pretty badly. I think it's time for another big trim.
And sounds like a project, cant wait to see your setup when the time comes!
Are those lobo's on the bottom right? If so how has the care on those been?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Are those lobo's on the bottom right? If so how has the care on those been?
Those are all micromussa lordhowensis, aka Acans, and care for them is quite easy, low light requirements, just feed frozen food a couple times a week. I haven't kept lobophyllia, but from what I've read care is similar.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Beautiful tank. The acans look great. One of my favorites. Any updates?
Thanks man, big updates coming soon, I've just been lazy about taking new pics/video. This has all been transferred to another new setup again, and I've got some more residents. All corals growing and fish doing well. I'll try to get on the update this week.

Reactions: tlindsey

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Full blown reef junkie. I've been debating a 29-40b reef only, but I'm scared. I can't afford another addiction
I feel that man, yeah it can be expensive if you let it be, but It's possible to do it cheap too. I feel like20-29g would be the perfect size to start off and keep costs down

Reactions: Matteus

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Do you think I could make a 5 gallon into a nano reef? Never done any saltwater ever and always wanted to try it. I'm using the 5 gallon as a quarantine tank right now. The tank is a fluvel spec v. And how much would it take to get the reef started? And is the maintenance of a reef like, you can't go on vacation without having someone watch over it?

Reactions: Gourami Swami

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Wow. Beautiful set up, can’t wait to see the new updates.

This has been a very inspiring thread. I feel like I have learned a bit about how simple it can be. I have been toying with the idea of starting a nano reef. Then I acquired a 30g biocube type set up that has been assigned to this project.

I just need to make more money before I can commit. Lol. I have enough friends that I could possibly get some more stuff for cheap. Oh boy I hear P PYRU about the addiction here. (Scratches neck, and a slight twitch). Lol

Reactions: Gourami Swami

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Salt water is a deep dark hole.....lol
I was at an lfs and they had 5 or 6 anglers little babies. I almost got one. I mean in reality with live rock and sand premade water and some macro algae I could have....its a good thing I still have some will power. Lol
I do like the last incarnation cant wait to see the next....
Have you left the "nano" world yet? You will, you will.......

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Do you think I could make a 5 gallon into a nano reef? Never done any saltwater ever and always wanted to try it. I'm using the 5 gallon as a quarantine tank right now. The tank is a fluvel spec v. And how much would it take to get the reef started? And is the maintenance of a reef like, you can't go on vacation without having someone watch over it?
Sure you could use a fluval spec 5, though fish choices would be very limited. The maintenance for my tank when it was in 6.5 gallons is basically one 2gish water change a week, to replenish calcium alk etc. Then freshwater top ups to keep salinity stable. I top mine up when I remember to do it, usually like twice a week. If you go away for up to a week and have everything on timers, you probably wont need anyone to come by. If you go longer than that you would need them to feed your fish (maybe corals as well) and top up with fresh. Most people get an ATO system to do the freshwater topoffs anyway (though its not necessary)

Wow. Beautiful set up, can’t wait to see the new updates.

This has been a very inspiring thread. I feel like I have learned a bit about how simple it can be. I have been toying with the idea of starting a nano reef. Then I acquired a 30g biocube type set up that has been assigned to this project.

I just need to make more money before I can commit. Lol. I have enough friends that I could possibly get some more stuff for cheap. Oh boy I hear P PYRU about the addiction here. (Scratches neck, and a slight twitch). Lol
Thanks, and awesome man sounds like a fun new project. Do tons of reading first would be my advice. And keep it simple. Easy to get 1,000 bucks worth of equipment you don't really need and make everything complicated! Which is probably fun in it's own right and is another approach. My tank is running on a total of about 150$ worth of equipment (aside from tank itself), just light and powerhead and pump.

Salt water is a deep dark hole.....lol
I was at an lfs and they had 5 or 6 anglers little babies. I almost got one. I mean in reality with live rock and sand premade water and some macro algae I could have....its a good thing I still have some will power. Lol
I do like the last incarnation cant wait to see the next....
Have you left the "nano" world yet? You will, you will.......
I really love anglers, was tempted to get one myself but am kind of attached to the little clown now. Thanks for kind words, I am still firmly in nano-ville. I think the prospect of having to mix saltwater in a trash can in my tiny studio apt has kept me from going too big. I do find myself gazing at some 100g-ish tanks online though... I'm sure eventually I'll have a larger one :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store