How does sediment build up in a trickle filter?

Bengalcats888

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2019
Thanks for clarifying.

Do you have something to stir up the water
on the bottom of the tank since your intake
is at the top of the tank?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
The water overflows through the gray pvc into first part of the tower wich is mechanical with floss and sponge. The trickles over the bioballs in the next part. Then goes through submerged media then pump pumps water back to tank through the black hose.

Simple as that:)
I couldn't have put it any better myself :clap

Reactions: Tobiassorensen

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Thanks for clarifying.

Well that is something esoxlucius esoxlucius have to answer.

Im personally dont use this type of tricklefilters. I use my tricklefilters on top of my tanks and pumping water from the bottom through a hose up in to the filter. I dont have time today but can fix some pics of my builds tomorrow.

Reactions: islandguy11

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I found two halfdecent pictures of one of my showerfilters. Ill fix better pictures tomorrow where i show how they are built.

20190502_225548.jpg

20190502_225534.jpg

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Well that is something esoxlucius esoxlucius have to answer.

Im personally dont use this type of tricklefilters. I use my tricklefilters on top of my tanks and pumping water from the bottom through a hose up in to the filter. I dont have time today but can fix some pics of my builds tomorrow.
Yes please do Tobias, I would like to see the bigger picture of how you have this system set up.
Edit: ha ha our messages crossed paths, Thx for sharing the pix.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Yes please do Tobias, I would like to see the bigger picture of how you have this system set up.
Edit: ha ha our messages crossed paths, Thx for sharing the pix.

I will fix that first thing tomorrow when im waking up since im working nightshift atm. It is pretty basic. You have overhead tricklefilters on your arowana tanks. This is basicly the same principle but in a larger scale:)

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Thanks for clarifying.

You are quite right, it is a surface skimming setup, or it was! I much prefer bottom skimming, you get rid of more crap.

I had to be a little creative to achieve what I wanted but it works brilliantly. The first picture shows a view looking into the tank where the surface skimming overflow is. As you can see there is a big ugly beige length of 5" PVC box section. I've carefully cut a hole in it so it slips easily over my overflow. It reaches right to the bottom of the tank where I drilled several holes in it. It is now a bottom skimming system. The second picture shows it reaching to the bottom, you can't quite see the drilled holes on the picture though, but they are there.

I know it looks unsightly but I have some more box section at work in black. I'm going to change it. I also have a 20000 litre/hour powerhead in the tank which is on periodically during the day. The bottom of the tank is spotless, I couldn't be happier with it so far.

20190715_174254.jpg

20190715_174303.jpg

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I will fix that first thing tomorrow when im waking up since im working nightshift atm. It is pretty basic. You have overhead tricklefilters on your arowana tanks. This is basicly the same principle but in a larger scale:)
Gotcha, I guess I'm just kind of wondering with your bigger (and much more bio-efficient) system, what prevents a possible overflow? Have fun at work, reply later whenever time.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
You are quite right, it is a surface skimming setup, or it was! I much prefer bottom skimming, you get rid of more crap.

I had to be a little creative to achieve what I wanted but it works brilliantly. The first picture shows a view looking into the tank where the surface skimming overflow is. As you can see there is a big ugly beige length of 5" PVC box section. I've carefully cut a hole in it so it slips easily over my overflow. It reaches right to the bottom of the tank where I drilled several holes in it. It is now a bottom skimming system. The second picture shows it reaching to the bottom, you can't quite see the drilled holes on the picture though, but they are there.

I know it looks unsightly but I have some more box section at work in black. I'm going to change it. I also have a 20000 litre/hour powerhead in the tank which is on periodically during the day. The bottom of the tank is spotless, I couldn't be happier with it so far.

View attachment 1380077

View attachment 1380078
Well this is pretty much an inverted bottom drain. I was thinking of buying on out of 110mm pvc. But i might build my own after seing this.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Gotcha, I guess I'm just kind of wondering with your bigger (and much more bio-efficient) system, what prevents a possible overflow? Have fun at work, reply later whenever time.
An possible overflow is prevented by ****loads of holes in the drip plate and 4 pieces of 38mm bulkheads back to the tank. And only one 38mm bulkhead in from the tank to the filter. And it is a see through filter so i can see when its time to change the floss. There is some safety measures i can do but dont find the need to do that. This is just a quick ugly filter i built in an hour or two minus the curing of the silicone for the bulkheads. I run these filters with jebao dcq10000 and could easily double the amount of water going throught the filter without flooding the filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store