How does sediment build up in a trickle filter?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Do you have something to stir up the water
on the bottom of the tank since your intake
is at the top of the tank?
I believe one of the most misunderstood parts of aquarium filtration, and the propaganda about it, is that filters are supposed to pick up sh't and other stuff from the aquarium floor, and store it.
Although this ability might make the tank make look cleaner, anything in left the "filter/sump", is still in the tank, metabolizing, and releasing invisable by-products like nitrate back into the tank (although slightly less toxic, they are probably more important to get rid of long term, than a few turds).
This is what aquarium vacuums and siphons are for, to remove these turds, and pollutants from the tank, before they get a chance to break down, and why it is necessary to regularly clean out mechanical media.
Beside that, the waters surface (the air water interface) is actually where some of the most deleterious by-products build up (think oil on a puddle), and skimming these almost invisible things out, and removing them by cleaning mechanical media is just as important. If...when you turn off pumps a while, and you see a white film starting to build up, that is what I mean.

Reactions: BichirKing

Bengalcats888

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2019
You are correct if the setup has substrate. I was referring to bare bottom tank. I currently have the FX6 intake near bottom like how Pacumom setup.
It’s literally a poop sucker.

I am curious though how those monster tanks at 3 feet or taller, do they still perform gravel vac?

Bengalcats888

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2019
My original post is because I’m new to canisters and went for the Fluval FX6 with all the bells and whistles. Now I find this thing is a beast to move around.

Since I’m stuck with this, what do you think
of doing it this way? I remove all bio media
from the FX6, only use it for mechanical
pre filter/sediment filter.

Take the out take hose and connect it to
the spray bar/drip plate of the trickle filter.

Ideally, the bio media in the trickle filter is
undisturbed. It is less weight to move and
clean the FX6.

One other question, do you silicon bulk head
fit when installing onto the storage bins to
prevent leaks or not required?

Bengalcats888

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2019
Is this a decent mid price bio media for the trickle filter?

Atlantic BB0500 Bio-Rock Media
$35 for 20lbs

Is there something lighter in weight, cheaper
that can do the same?

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
My original post is because I’m new to canisters and went for the Fluval FX6 with all the bells and whistles. Now I find this thing is a beast to move around.

Since I’m stuck with this, what do you think
of doing it this way? I remove all bio media
from the FX6, only use it for mechanical
pre filter/sediment filter.

Take the out take hose and connect it to
the spray bar/drip plate of the trickle filter.

Ideally, the bio media in the trickle filter is
undisturbed. It is less weight to move and
clean the FX6.

One other question, do you silicon bulk head
fit when installing onto the storage bins to
prevent leaks or not required?
I silicone the just to get them leakfree. If i where in your seat i would use the fx6 as an mechanical filter only and buy an programable dcpump to feed the tricklefilter. Thats how i run my setups. The fx6 is easy to drain. Close intake valve leave outputvalve open connect hos to drainplug and open up the valve for the drain. An stable dcpump dont cost a fortune to buy. I think ive paid about 90usd per pump inkluding shipping to sweden.

For media i would go with bacteria house in all my filters if i could afford it atm. I need 150 rods per filter. Thats 200usd per filter just for media. So atm im using something called superbio. Im quite happy with it. It weights nothing and it is quite cheap. Ordered 100L from germany for like 50usd. Enough to fill 2 filters.

Last edited:

Bengalcats888

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2019
I kinda hit my head on the wall for buying the fx6. I was going to do exactly what you said, get DC pump and setup trickle filter.

You said to use both fx6 as mechanical and DC pump for trickle, but that means equal amounts of poop/gunk can also get
stuck on the trickle? So isn’t better to use the fx6 as prefilter, pump might be too weak though.

Do you have link for superbio, is that available in US?

Thanks

Getting closer... :)

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
I kinda hit my head on the wall for buying the fx6. I was going to do exactly what you said, get DC pump and setup trickle filter.

You said to use both fx6 as mechanical and DC pump for trickle, but that means equal amounts of poop/gunk can also get
stuck on the trickle? So isn’t better to use the fx6 as prefilter, pump might be too weak though.

Do you have link for superbio, is that available in US?

Thanks

Getting closer... :)
I change floss in my tricklefilters prob about once a week. Its done in couple of minutes. Put the pump in feedmode open the lid out with old floss and in with new and your done.

Use the cannister for mechanical filter and for the flow of the water. You can fix the dcpump in the midwater. I choose to have mine on the bottom just to get rid of all debris in the tank. You can even put on an hosebarb on the intakeside of the dcpump and put some sponge on it as a prefilter to take out all larger debris the use floss in the filter to polish the water.

Bengalcats888

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2019
Great tips. Thanks.

Btw, when you empty your FX6 through the drain,
how much of the tank water is emptied?

I replaced the stock foam with the black/course one, it acts differently now. When I shut it off,
I get bubbles coming out of the out take.

When I remove both aqua valves, it does not seem to drain. I think I have too much media plus the fine foams, it is not able to push very much water out.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Great tips. Thanks.

Btw, when you empty your FX6 through the drain,
how much of the tank water is emptied?

I replaced the stock foam with the black/course one, it acts differently now. When I shut it off,
I get bubbles coming out of the out take.

When I remove both aqua valves, it does not seem to drain. I think I have too much media plus the fine foams, it is not able to push very much water out.
Well when you drain you shut of intake valve and leave out open attach the hose to drainplug and open valve.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store