Baby IT

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
So I did an impulse buy yesterday passing through a store and got these two tiny IT. Never seen them for sale that small-you don’t have a huge choice in this area so you have to snap things up while you can. I see the occasional large specimens for sale but they’re generally overpriced and I absolutely hate buying fish privately due to time wasters.

Probably no more than an inch in length and oddball pattern but I’m not fussed with that. I hope one day they’ll go in the 180 gallon with my 2 NTT and AT.

I seem to have struck gold in that a few hours after being in the grow out they looked active- I broke some pellet up for them and they took it straight away. Hopefully I can keep them on this and get a reasonable growth rate

3CEE41C1-FBF0-416F-B57E-4423FF16BAB5.jpeg

8EDF4C88-2F43-419F-A8DC-5F961004E373.jpeg

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
OMG, getting dats on pellets is one of the biggest challenges with dats but you've already got past that within a few hours.
Congrats!
I always try to begin with and really I just think it’s luck at this stage. The far bigger challenge is going to get my other larger Tigers onto pellets but I haven’t got around to weaning them yet. From previous experience in the past I found this can take several months of effort if at all

Reactions: ECarbonel

Katie_Ca

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2018
GTA - Ontario, Canada
I always try to begin with and really I just think it’s luck at this stage. The far bigger challenge is going to get my other larger Tigers onto pellets but I haven’t got around to weaning them yet. From previous experience in the past I found this can take several months of effort if at all
Yes, I have 3 NTTs, all that I've bought over the last 3 months - one (smallest and most recent) already eating pellets, one spitting pellets (bought longest but bigger) and one just still looking at pellets (always stable) Lol

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
Nice, and yeah congrats that's great they're accepting pellets right away it surely demonstrates the importance of introducing pellets soon as one can (took the same approach with my Sinking Carnivore addicted NTT), even if it can be hit and miss. More pix later please.
Yep Hikari sinking Carnivore is what they’re taking but that small I have to break it in half. When they get bigger I hope to get them on Massivore but I’m going to do pellets only for the time being.

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
Yes, I have 3 NTTs, all that I've bought over the last 3 months - one (smallest and most recent) already eating pellets, one spitting pellets (bought longest but bigger) and one just still looking at pellets (always stable) Lol
I’ve been too lazy to try weaning them-they fade really well on Tilapia
I’ve really got to make a concentrated effort to get them onto pellets though

Reactions: islandguy11

Katie_Ca

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2018
GTA - Ontario, Canada
Yep Hikari sinking Carnivore is what they’re taking but that small I have to break it in half. When they get bigger I hope to get them on Massivore but I’m going to do pellets only for the time being.
Have you tried not breaking it in half? I've seen 1" dats taking Hikari floating Carnivore whole. They're just holding it in their mouth but definitely not letting go. Looks really cute. They'll eventually take it in when its soft enough and you'd think that one is enough to fill their tummys...then you see them go for another. LOL.

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Have you tried not breaking it in half? I've seen 1" dats taking Hikari floating Carnivore whole. They're just holding it in their mouth but definitely not letting go. Looks really cute. They'll eventually take it in when its soft enough and you'd think that one is enough to fill their tummys...then you see them go for another. LOL.
Wow that's nice, my Dat will only eat sinking food, never from the top (granted tank is a decent 30" high). In any case it would be great if you could get a snap of yours smoking a Hikari cigar :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store