Gold Tier RD., Esteemed Contributor (upgrade from silver)

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
On a more serious note....

When life goes sideways, I always tend to come to MFK to take my mind off whatever is taking place in my life, that is out of my control. 2018-2019 definitely falls under the out of control category. My wife was diagnosed with cancer (in remission now) and while at her lowest point of immunity from the radiation she suffered a sinus infection that took place from a tooth implant that went south, which she is still on antibiotics for. (3 surgeries later) And to add to what was already an incredibly stressful time my father passed away at the end of March.

The real accolade here should be to everyone that makes MFK what it is. Sometimes we all forget that behind every user ID is a real person, with a real life. I know that at times I am certainly guilty of that. Almost everyone that takes part in this community of fish keepers is solid gold in my books.
Thanks for sharing RD. I use this hobby for the same.

I went through a difficult time as well in 2017-2018. I got laid off from work, my newborn son had open heart surgery which freaked out my wife and I. Losing my job, I had to figure it how to make ends meet with a wife at home and a son that needed serious health care. I sold my home and moved back to the west coast. During the same time, my cousin who looked after me when I was little passed away. Within months the same happened to my wife’s little brother. Then my son had his second heart procedure.

Moved home. Found a new job. Bought a new home. And got my new tanks. I didn’t feel like myself until somewhat recently. The hobby certainly helped me get it together. It gave me the escape. That an some brown 80 proof liquids of course.

Glad to have you around Neil. Thanks for setting the right tone. I pray for your wife and hope things only get better from here on out.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk

I went through a difficult time as well in 2017-2018. I got laid off from work, my newborn son had open heart surgery which freaked out my wife and I. Losing my job, I had to figure it how to make ends meet with a wife at home and a son that needed serious health care. I sold my home and moved back to the west coast. During the same time, my cousin who looked after me when I was little passed away. Within months the same happened to my wife’s little brother. Then my son had his second heart procedure.

Moved home. Found a new job. Bought a new home. And got my new tanks. I didn’t feel like myself until somewhat recently. The hobby certainly helped me get it together. It gave me the escape. That an some brown 80 proof liquids of course.

Glad to have you around Neil. Thanks for setting the right tone. I pray for your wife and hope things only get better from here on out.
Sorry to hear of your troubles Robin. I can't even imagine the worry that you and your wife have been through. I wish you and your family all the very best for the future.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Its a nomination... votes are required either in support or not silencing opposition is defeating the purpose.

Sorry that some of you guys went through a hard patch. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
It would have been much more dignified to have not supported this nomination in silence. You would of achieved the same thing without coming across bitter.
While I understand your sentiment, I cannot in good conscience fail to address this.

Every Member of MFK has a right to speak on these. The reason we leave Nominations open for an entire month is to allow for dissenting opinions to be heard. In the interest of fairness, I will not suppress the voice of naysayers. This rule was implemented due to a past Nomination having been overturned after the award was issued due to the fact that I didn't allow enough time for every voice to be heard.

While it is highly unlikely that his opinion will turn the tide of this Nomination, the fact remains that S skjl47 has the right to express his opinion.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
While I understand your sentiment, I cannot in good conscience fail to address this.

Every Member of MFK has a right to speak on these. The reason we leave Nominations open for an entire month is to allow for dissenting opinions to be heard. In the interest of fairness, I will not suppress the voice of naysayers. This rule was implemented due to a past Nomination having been overturned after the award was issued due to the fact that I didn't allow enough time for every voice to be heard.

While it is highly unlikely that his opinion will turn the tide of this Nomination, the fact remains that S skjl47 has the right to express his opinion.
So that was a negative vote? Seemed it was just a negative comment that had no bearing on the voting. Just getting a "jab in" so to speak. A try to bring the mood down. I agree anyone and everyone should be allowed a vote if that was a vote then fine. But then was this was him changing his mind to a positive vote?
Hello; Thanks for the link. Did a quick read thru. I stand corrected as it seems my concerns are not among the requirements. Good to know.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada

Really sorry to hear that my friend. My thoughts and prayers are with you & yours.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk

Fair enough.
I just took it as twentylegues said, a jab in. A fabricated one at that. But I hear you.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Fair enough.
I just took it as twentylegues said, a jab in. A fabricated one at that. But I hear you.
I think the very last line of skj47 comment would render it as a negative vote. I think like rob has mentioned about the fairness of the nomination we should respect that his opinion differs from ours, and not get to emotional about it. We want to support Neil yes. But we do not need to hold it against another member if they do not share the same sentiment. The temptation is to fight someone who has a difference in opinion than us, but can we look at the situation objectively and allow others to have a different opinion?

I am not accusing anyone of this, but would really like if we could avoid the drama that can sometimes pop off when we get into the heated discussions. I work in construction, I am very familiar with conflict and conflict resolution, I am not afraid to confront a man face to face even though he looks like a big body building biker etc. But much like we have previously mentioned, this place is our escape from our real life problems etc. Let’s try to make this thread a safe place if possible.

Let the votes speak for themselves. Btw Chicxulub Chicxulub if someone votes negatively how does that effect the voting process? Does the nominee need more votes in favour to nullify a negative vote? How many negative votes nullify a nomination etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store