Alternative for overflow drain

Rohaus

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2018
I know that there are different ways to configure your drain from an overflow. There is the Bean Animal, the Herbie style. I believe these two are the primary ones folks use for a 3 hole drainage system.

The problem I have is that I will be using a 1384924
Eshopps WD-300CS

What kind of system could I use to get equal drainage flow to both compartments of the sump?

I will be using an Eshopps Eclipse L overflow.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I know that there are different ways to configure your drain from an overflow. There is the Bean Animal, the Herbie style. I believe these two are the primary ones folks use for a 3 hole drainage system.

The problem I have is that I will be using a View attachment 1384924
Eshopps WD-300CS

What kind of system could I use to get equal drainage flow to both compartments of the sump?

I will be using an Eshopps Eclipse L overflow.
View attachment 1384925
I would install the overflow box exactly as its pictured, attaching the two main drains(without the orange pipe) into each of the trickle chambers. Just install ball valves into each of the drain lines above the trickle boxes to regulate the flow through each. Run the emergency drain right into the pump chamber.

Rohaus

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2018
Backfromthedead Backfromthedead thank you. but if I did want to reduce noise, is there a variation of the Bean Animal I could use?

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Backfromthedead Backfromthedead thank you. but if I did want to reduce noise, is there a variation of the Bean Animal I could use?
If you needed to, you could install a tee and bend on each drain. Look up durso standpipes to see what i mean.

Just make sure to install the tee right off the top of those drain bulkheads in the overflow box...not a lot of room to work in there unfortunately.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
But honestly i would just go a strainer over each main drain like this. With a valve in the drain line, you should be able to adjust the drains to make them near silent.

2016-05-30 14.39.28.jpg

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Would I need to drill a small hole at the top of both durso pipes?
That depends. On my 150 i have a single 1.5" durso type main drain. I have a 1/4" hole in the top and a length of air hose in it which i will pinch off or sometimes remove completely to adjust noise levels.

On my 135 i have a similar single 1" drain that i found the hole unnecessary, so i plugged it and the drain runs full siphon now.

Correct me if im wrong but it sounds as if you may be new to setting up drains and sumps and whatnot. I am also fairly new as i just set up all my tanks with sumps in the past year. Ill just say its more simple than it appears to be when reading up on it. You'll see what i mean once you set it all up and start fiddling with it.

Just make sure to install the valves in the drains and get a pump (or 2) that is more powerful than you need for your drains. Running your pump at half power will reduce power consumption, noise level, and latent heat significally, while potentially extending the life of your pump as well.

Good luck with your setup.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Sometimes there isn't the room for those big "U" fittings in the box.

You can use a straight pipe with a plastic PVC cup inverted over the end.

Attach to the standing pipe with a plastic cross pin (shown in red) so you can remove it for cleaning.
cup.jpg

With a throttle valve this will run silent.

Reactions: Zanzag
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store