Information on Ivanacara Adoketa

TheFishDodo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
Since I was unable to find a pair of C. Regani for sale I started looking at some other fish for my rio negro biotope. While I was looking online at the wetspot I. Adoketa popped up. I decided to do a bit more research into these fish and I found a lot of conflicting information on them. Some sources say that they are extremely hard to pair and hyper agressive not only to each other but to other tankmates while other sources say that they are extremely easy to pair and have very little agression. I am not sure which of these is true though so I am trying to get some more information.

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
Good luck finding them especially if you can’t source c.regani.

Beautiful fish but rare

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
duanes duanes had them if i remember right. Try aquatic clarity on fb as they may have the fish if looking.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have never kept them, so I can't offer any real insight.
If available to me, and my water was low in pH, and mineral poor, they would be something I'd definitely want to try.
Consider the name Ivanacara, named after Tsar, Ivan the Terrible, as a barometer that might suggest whether other cichlid tank mates would be tolerated or not. And....
Size of tank might also be the difference between those that find them aggressive or not.
I would surmise, in a tank under 50 gallons, they may not easily tolerate others, but in something 75 or larger, aggression might be minimal.
I almost always figure, tank size is the determiner of aggression or not.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I have a trio. The male was from aquatic Clarity and is a long term captive wild fish. I picked up a couple more F1 juveniles from TRiN’s Fish. All are in my tap which is high TDS and high pH and they are with a altums, Crenicichla Orinoco dwarf; and tetras and they are doing great.

They are aggressive with eachother with the male keeping the two juveniles at bay in a 150 gallon. They also bully the dwarf pikes and Altums. My male Adoketa rules the 150.

I don’t plan on breeding so my water works for them. If you can find F1, get some. You won’t regret it. I really like mine.

TheFishDodo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
I have a trio. The male was from aquatic Clarity and is a long term captive wild fish. I picked up a couple more F1 juveniles from TRiN’s Fish. All are in my tap which is high TDS and high pH and they are with a altums, Crenicichla Orinoco dwarf; and tetras and they are doing great.

They are aggressive with eachother with the male keeping the two juveniles at bay in a 150 gallon. They also bully the dwarf pikes and Altums. My male Adoketa rules the 150.

I don’t plan on breeding so my water works for them. If you can find F1, get some. You won’t regret it. I really like mine.
Cant find any F1's but the wetspot has in sone tank raised ones so I figure I will probably order 4 of them on Monday and hopefully get 2 to pair and then give the other 2 to an lfs.

TheFishDodo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
I have never kept them, so I can't offer any real insight.
If available to me, and my water was low in pH, and mineral poor, they would be something I'd definitely want to try.
Consider the name Ivanacara, named after Tsar, Ivan the Terrible, as a barometer that might suggest whether other cichlid tank mates would be tolerated or not. And....
Size of tank might also be the difference between those that find them aggressive or not.
I would surmise, in a tank under 50 gallons, they may not easily tolerate others, but in something 75 or larger, aggression might be minimal.
I almost always figure, tank size is the determiner of aggression or not.
I dont plan on keeping any other cichlids with them just some tetras and maybe a small group of cories.

Reactions: mrrobxc

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
I think it's one of the best looking cichlids out there. Definitely something I would like to keep at some point.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Recently saw a pair in my LFS surprisingly enough. They were being kept in Va Beach tap water in a heavily planted tank. Very striking in person. Much like an apisto, only larger with a lot of iridescence. They were in a 30gal tank with some tetras or harlequin rasboras(can't remember which) and they seemed to be paying them no attention while I was watching

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store