Geophagus stocking questions/tankmates for 110

trustemedia

Exodon
MFK Member
May 21, 2013
Arizona
I can get it any time, any size. Tell me what you want and next time I'm out I'll get you some. I'll sell it cheap. It's just my time and battling bees. Shipping might suck, though. I have a couple pieces lying around the house now.

trustemedia

Exodon
MFK Member
May 21, 2013
Arizona
The juvies are settling in nice. It only took a couple of days before they started greeting me at the front of the tank. They are very lively and very, very curious about everything going on outside the tank. I am really enjoying them.

I've taken all the advice received regarding tankmates into consideration. I've narrowed it down to just 4 choices. I'm not sure which one would be the best option, though. I'd appreciate some expert advice.

Option 1: 3 Mesonauta (likely Mirificus as they stay 4-5"), 20 Larger Tetra, 11 Hatchetfish (covers top half of tank and schooling movement)
Option 2: 2 Severum and 11 Hatchetfish (seen this combo in a vid in a 5 foot tank with 6 Geos and it looked nice)
Option 3: 5 Silver dollar variants, 3 Menosauta Mirifius, 20 Tetra (covers top layer, schooling movement, dollars keep geos comfy on bottom)
Option 4: 2 Severum, 1 Dwarf Pike (like Regani), 20 Tetra, and 7 Hatchetfish

trustemedia

Exodon
MFK Member
May 21, 2013
Arizona
I have since learned 2 Severums is not a good idea. Breeding Sevs will take over most of the tank and one is probably better than 2 of the same sex. So, I've revised finals plans, again.

I'm now wondering about:

6 Geo Sveni, 5-6 (unless I can have more) Metynnis Fasciatus, 5-7 Giant Hatchetfish, 1 Crenicichla Regani. I'd add 1 Severum if there is room.

OR

6 Geo Sveni, 1 Severum, 2 Acara, 1 Crenicichla Regani, and 12+ Diamond Tetra

Reactions: Fishnerd360

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
I like the hatchet idea, although IIRC they're jumpers, so you'd need to protect against that. Personally I love matching geos with Discus, but that's just me... the right Severum would also do well as sort of that middle swimmer with some bulk and color though.

That aquascaping is very nice; looks great on its own, not too empty, but still gives the geos plenty of space to sift the sand. I love it. I'd love to find a centerpiece manzanita branch like that myself.

trustemedia

Exodon
MFK Member
May 21, 2013
Arizona
I like the hatchet idea, although IIRC they're jumpers, so you'd need to protect against that. Personally I love matching geos with Discus, but that's just me... the right Severum would also do well as sort of that middle swimmer with some bulk and color though.

That aquascaping is very nice; looks great on its own, not too empty, but still gives the geos plenty of space to sift the sand. I love it. I'd love to find a centerpiece manzanita branch like that myself.
Thank you. I also like the hatchets as something different that stays top level. Seems the other fish that stay that high like Chalceus and Pike Characins get rather long and I don't feel my tank would be adequate space.

I'm sure I have to leave out any dwarf pike now if I choose to have Hatchets or Tetra.

I thought Metynnis and Hatchets or maybe trade Hatchets for smaller Mesonauta like Mirificus would look nice. I just need someone to advise me whether Metynnis would have adequate space in my tank or not. I see people keeping them in smaller spaces but I want them to thrive and be happy, not just live. I think that stocking is a nice natural "wild" look I would enjoy. Someone told me I had room for 6 Metynnis and a Severum and something else, but I would like another opinion as well.

I do however also like the idea of the one colorful severum and a pretty acara with the big school of beautiful Diamond Tetra.

I think I just want to choose the option of these two that would work best in my tank.

How big is your tank? I have another large centerpiece of Manzanita here that I didnt use. I didn't even try it after I put this one in.

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
I've got a 6 footer with the discus and geos in it now, plus now I also have the tall 48x24 tank I just made the active thread about stocking.

I do however also like the idea of the one colorful severum and a pretty acara with the big school of beautiful Diamond Tetra.
I think that'd look really great in that setup. I forgot about Acaras. You could conceivably do more than one of those too.

trustemedia

Exodon
MFK Member
May 21, 2013
Arizona
I think that'd look really great in that setup. I forgot about Acaras. You could conceivably do more than one of those too.
I seen this suggested to someone else with my same size tank with Geos. They did say that person could have a couple Acara. I can get a red spotted turquoise severum at the same place as Diamond Tetra. They only have Electric Blue Acaras. They also have Keyhole Cichlids. Not sure if one of each of those would work, or if I need to find another Acara species out there somewhere. Not sure which ones look the best with best temperment either. Have to dig on that.

If you are interested in the big Manzanita, I would sell to you cheap, but shipping would probably be a bear. We take our UTV into the mountains to get it. Spend about 5 hours round trip.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Very nice scape!

Something to consider for the top are festivums. Silver hatchets get a nice size and would work with dwarf pikes if you want them

trustemedia

Exodon
MFK Member
May 21, 2013
Arizona
Very nice scape!

Something to consider for the top are festivums. Silver hatchets get a nice size and would work with dwarf pikes if you want them
Thank you!

I am considering choosing real or fake plants or maybe just leaving it as it. I enjoy real plants, but it's always a crapshoot finding what works in your water.

I have been thinking on the Mesonauta.

If I went with Giant Hatchetfish, Thoracocharax Securis, which dwarf pike do you recommend?

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Thank you!

I am considering choosing real or fake plants or maybe just leaving it as it. I enjoy real plants, but it's always a crapshoot finding what works in your water.

I have been thinking on the Mesonauta.

If I went with Giant Hatchetfish, Thoracocharax Securis, which dwarf pike do you recommend?
Any of the dwarf pike species will work. Choose among compressiceps, regani, notophalmus, wallacei, or Orinoco Dwarf. Whatever you can find.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store